Like rockies and gas gaints, why don't we have liquid planets?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

An entire sphere of water or some other fluid(s) big enough to be classified a planet might not be possible.  One as big as Mercury (the smallest planet we know of) would have an extreme pressure at the core.  The heat raised there would make most fluids boil.  That would create a lot of unstable fluid flows.  That might disrupt the integrity of the whole planet.

Also, the content of all water might be so rare.  The dust and gas cloud that might form planets usually has less water.  That means rocky planets or even a gas giant should have a rocky core.  All water might not ever be possible.

• 2 weeks ago

Gravity wouldn't allow it

Any Body in Space has most of its Mass towards the Centre of its Globe

Solid Liquid or Gas

It is down to its Density

• Tom S
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

Actually what we call the "gas giants" are mostly liquid metallic hydrogen.

• 2 weeks ago

There very probably are planets with extremely deep liquid oceans. In fact even within our own solar system, Uranus and Neptune are mainly liquid inside.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 weeks ago

liquids tend to have a lot of vapor associated with them, so we call them gas giants even when they are actually more liquid than gas.  Really, though, even then, pressures with depth would tend to cause much of the liquid to become solid, even if that solid might be highly plastic in actual behavior, so even calling them liquid giants would be a misnomer.

The point I am making is that "gas" giants are not actually mostly gas.  We just call them that because there is so much volatile material that the atmosphere is relatively thick and they look "gaseous" for as far into them that we can see.  They are not gaseous right through to the core though.  The atmosphere remains a rind around a liquid around a solid.

Water is an odd substance and will generally not persist as H2O under most chemical conditions that planets would have if they were so large as you speculate.  The planet would be much more likely to be dominated by H2 (reduced conditions).  There are ice planets of sorts (well, water ice moons that are roughly planet-sized where the surface is cold and solid water but liquid water underneath because of heat and pressure).  Water exists because other elements control the redox chemistry (the iron system is often dominant).

The point is really that you either have an H2+He dominated system or you have most other elements also present in abundance.  The one gives what we call "gas" giants (even if they are not actually gaseous in bulk) and the other gives what we call "rocky" planets (other elements besides H+He are dominant).

• Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

Thanks for Best Answer, i meant to say i would marry Jalpari in my watery grave

And there are liquidy planets...humans just can't venture there and don't know of them...I mean water was found on MARS afterall

Ommm

• 2 weeks ago

It is up to the purpose of liquid planets in our universe.

• 2 weeks ago

Well, first, a mass of liquid that classes as a planet, even a minor planet, would defy physics and celestial dynamics. May be a layer of liquid under the surface of a gas giant, and even they have to have some form of solid core

• NiJo
    Lv 6
    2 weeks ago

My guess is gases only become liquid within a specific temp and pressure? 

• 2 weeks ago

I'd like you to explore the universe, mr rocket scientist.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.