Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 3 weeks ago

Does my employer have to pay me for the extra hours I worked?

I work 12 hours a day 7 days a week on a ship. I'm supposed to take 3 hours of breaks during the day so I would get 9 hours. But we were so busy I ended up only taking 2 hours of breaks each day

This would give me 10 hours a day. Well they only played me for 9 hours each day. They capped my hours at 9. Do they legally have to pay me for those extra hours I worked? I know now not to go over 9 hours a day but I'd like to be played for those extra hours I worked. It's about 250 bucks they owe me.

• Maxi

Your contract states you have a 3 hour unpaid break, busy or not you legally have an unpaid 3 hour break, you decided to cut that by 1 hr, so unless your employer asked you to do that and agreed to pay you.... then no they don't have to pay you for that extra hr

You work on a ship, you are subject to the captains employee contract.

That in itself may fall under merchant marine union bylaws if you are a member.

Ships purser is usually double shift, and on call while off duty.

Better pay than a swaby, rather easy work, but some longass hours and breaks when you can manage one.

You don't get paid by hour, it is flat rated from the time you board til you go back down the gangplank. Payday is when the ship docks at home port.

We don't know. We haven't seen your employment contract. We don't even know if have an employment contract. We don't know what country you or the ship is from or what kind of work you do on that ship. In short, we know nothing at all about what your employer has to do.

• PAMELA

It was your fault that you did not take all your breaks, when a break is due you take it, whether you are busy or not.

Nope. You're "supposed to take 3 hours of breaks" and you're CHOOSING not to which is seriously stupid. They have ZERO obligation to pay you.

BUT did someone in charge TELL YOU you couldn't take the break? If so and you have some proof of that then you need to report this to payroll.

• Rick B

No idea from what country your employment is or what laws apply there.