Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 3 weeks ago

How to deal with a sub- standard car insurance?

Got in an accident my insurance isn’t going to cover. But short story is a lady ran the red light and said she did and check out on the police report. I got her insurance info but seems like there going to be a unwilling difficult insurance. Only looking to get my car fixed. What should be the steps to take when I get the call from there claim adjuster. 

5 Answers

  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

    Rule #1 - DON'T TALK TO THEIR CLAMS ADJUSTER.  He/she is trying to make their insured less responsible and you more responsible.

    The Police Report is useless in an accident because it's the result of the Police interviewing eye witnesses.  If the Police SAW the accident, that's different.  I see a lot of Police Reports thrown out because not every party was interviewed OR the witnesses weren't clear AND the Police are third parties to the accident.

    You should deal with YOUR insurance company and take their advice concerning the other party's insurance.

  • May
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

    If you have collision insurance, USE IT !

    You don't have to worry, fret or lift a finger except to ask you insurance to handle this.  That is why you have insurance, this is what they do.  Your own insurance company and their many free to you lawyers will handle everything.

    Remember one thing though.  While the lady is probably liable if the accident happened as you say.  Liability is NOT determined by police or by the fact alone that she ran a red light.  ONLY the involved insurance companies can, do and will determine liability.  That is another reason why you should use your own insurance because they will fight for you.  If your company is not involved, who do you suppose the lady's insurance will find liable?

    If you do not have collision, you are on your own........and should consider getting collision (better protection) for the future

    WHEN YOU HAVE INSURANCE..... USE IT !!!!  (for cripes sake.)   

    • Edna
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

      A Hunch:  He shouldn't wait to see 'if it's going anywhere" before reporting the accident to his ins. company. I believe there's a clause in most policies that says you have to notify your company of any accident within a specified number of days, even if you don't intend to file a claim.

  • 3 weeks ago

    If you have full coverage on your vehicle your insurance company should be dealing with the other persons insurance company. Did you call them yet?

    If you only have liability your insurance company won't get involved and you'll need to deal with the other person's insurance company by getting two estimates to repair your ride. Then if you get nowhere hire an attorney.

    Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Rick
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

    Lawyer time .....................................................

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

    If the police report said she admitted she ran a red light and it says she admitted fault on the police report, you shouldn't have any problems with her insurance.

    Have you called her insurance company and filed a claim?  If not, you may never hear from their claim adjuster.

    What steps do you take when you talk to the claims adjuster?  tell the truth.

    • A Hunch
      Lv 7
      2 weeks agoReport

      Edna, you call HER insurance company so you are not on the hook for the deductible for a collision claim.  If HER insurance company does not own up and cover the damage, then you can call your own insurance company.  Until then don't get your own insurance involved. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.