Can I help a hematoma drain faster?

I had a mastectomy a little bit ago and I went to get my drains removed but my doctor told me I have a hematoma on one side and need to keep that drain in for at least another week and if it's still not drained I might need to go for more surgery to clear it up.

Is there anything I can do to help the hematoma drain faster? I'm still wearing the compression vest they gave me, would a stronger compression help or would it make it worse? Has anyone had a hematoma surgically drained? How fast is the healing process for that? I'm just looking to heal as fast as possible so I can take a proper shower. Cant get the surgical site wet, can only bathe from the waist down and I feel like I have to do acrobatics to wash my hair :(  the other side is healed up so nicely but this side is holding me back and I'm desperate 

Favorite Answer

Staying hydrated and keeping the drain open (if you have been instructed to do so) are the primary factors you can change.  Keeping the drain in a position to work with and not against gravity can help as long as maintaining that position doesn't apply pressure in a manner that inhibits drainage.   There is a point where compression can squeeze too much, so don't change the compression without checking with your doc's office.  You could call them and ask if greater compression would help. 

• Kaiser3 weeks agoReport

I called them and they told me I could wear a different compression vest if it was more comfortable, so i changed to one with a tiny bit more compression. I was stripping the drain as usual and then I guess whatevers been clogging it finally cleared up cause it all started draining at once