What do you think of the fact that anyone can legally identify as whatever gender they want? Is it a good thing or a bad thing?

Favorite Answer

It's bad. The legality of the situation isn't important. The issue is that "identifying" as whatever you want is entirely baseless and is a perversion of our natural purpose. Men and women are meant to grow into their respective roles. It can be confusing along the way but character is built through struggle. When a young girl such as one I once knew is exposed to ideas regarding transgenderism and other liberal teachings, it can deal serious permanent damage, as it did in her case. I once followed her journey, if such a word is appropriate, via Instagram. She posted about her trips to San Fransisco for hormone treatments and the like and I watched her transformation from a beautiful young lady to a grey faced, nasally voiced, out of shape freak. When I hear her talk now, the abuses she suffered in being allowed to permanently damage her body come to mind. The transgender suicide rate is high for a reason and normalizing such a perversion of natural beauty is a unforgivable.

• Matthew 18: 6 "But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea."

It's good for those who wish to do so. It's not really affecting anyone else.

How is that any of your damn nosy business???

It honestly doesn't bother me at all - and I'm more or less neutral towards it.

People make it sound like the entire world is coming apart because of it - but it's simply not that big of a deal, and doesn't affect the vast majority of people.

That it would be more progressive to abolish gender categories entirely.

• Bob

It is ridiculous

The world we live in is ridiculous now

It is slowly being deconstructed

I think the problem is the youth have far too much influence, we are living in a world designed by children

It’s killing everything

• reme_1

THERE ARE MEN OR WOMEN- we just don't all fit in to what is expected.

• You make it sound as if it is as simple as changing your address. It's not. It's a lengthy, complicated process and it takes time.

• This is typical conservative hyperbole because you imply it's a bad thing.

First, given the rampant prejudice and discrimination against trans people, who would come out as trans if they did have to?

Second, while anyone can identify as whatever gender they want, for legal recognition there are a number of steps they have to take. So again, who would do that if they didn't have to?

Last, of course it's a good thing. Everyone on this planet has the right to self-identify. Trans people need the ability to do so for their own, for societies, good. Without treatment trans people either commit suicide of become lifelong burdens on society. With treatment they can become happy, fulfilled and productive citizens. In fact, we know from studies the costs are much less for society if the treat trans people instead of ignoring or oppressing them.

.

Source(s): me-woman who was born transexual (post-op)

I think it's ok, it doesn't hurt or affect me whatsoever

it depends on the person, everyone is different