Will smoking one cigarette give me cancer?

I have no cancer in my family and I smoked one cigarette today. Will I get cancer? I do not have an addictive personality at all so don’t say I will start smoking more and more.

Favorite Answer

NO !not one smoke however cancer can appear from other causes as well.

Cancer can develop from ant tissue within any organ. As cancer cells grow and multiply, they form a mass of cancerous tissue that invades adjacent tissues and can spread around the body.

Source(s): nurse

In a literal sense, yes. Though the probability is low. Cancer is caused by genetic mutations.We actually acquire billions of mutations a day, most of which are repaired by our bodies' DNA repair mechanisms. Smoking, drinking and eating tide pods accelerates the rate we acquire these mutations.

Imagine your risk of cancer like playing the lottery; the overwhelming majority of times you play will amount to nothing. But if you play enough times you're eventually going to get those magic numbers.

Now lets say every time you throw back a whisky shot is an extra ten lottery tickets for every draw. Every time you smoke a cigarette is an extra fifty tickets for every draw. You're increasing your chances of a hit.

Let's say you've smoked 50,000 cigarettes over your lifetime and not contracted cancer, you've been lucky thus far sure. But statistically the winning ticket is all the more likely to be in the next 100 or 1000 cigarettes you smoke.

But some people play the lottery once and win, others play obssessively for decades and never win. This random factor is subject to the quagmire of predisposing genes that (at this time) cannot be quantified.

Ultimately it's one cigratte that tips it over. So theoretically yes, you can get cancer from smoking one cigarette.

It would need to be the strongest cigarette in the entire world

i dont think so but i would stop smoking

• k w

you'll probably die from FEAR....you sure got enuf of it.....

not if its the only one you'll ever smoked, ive never smoked and i could get cancer but at least i wont feel like its my fault

• Rick B

Really stupid question. You think that everyone who has smoked one cigarette got cancer from it??????

Pack a day, 30 year smoker. Zero cancer so far. 

It doesn't work like that, some people smoke till 100 and never got cancer, someone can not smoke at all and get cancer, but the fact remains smoking is bad and increases your risk for cancer, so you shouldn't smoke.

• No one won’t. But if you smoke a lot regularly for years you could very well get it, stop now or deal with that cancer later . Your choice