Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 weeks ago

Why do you think parents pamper kids now? ?

My 13 yr old neice is a pampered princess who is wrapped in “cotton wool” and spoilt.

Why do parents do this?

Update:

She has 2 older brothers and is smart and popular.

Pampered and spoilt

Update 2:

Why are kids so pampered now??

13 Answers

Relevance
  • I care
    Lv 6
    2 weeks ago

In all societies there is bound to be some parents that do what you shared.

I've seen more on the other side of a coin,  that adore their children and spend quality time in whatever is planned in their growing years. 

• 3 weeks ago

What makes you think this is new? There have always been parents who spoil their children atrociously. And there always will be.

Nothing new under the sun. Just live a little longer and you'll find it's true.

• drip
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Not all kids are. If it bothers you so much, talk to your sibling

• 3 weeks ago

In this current world in which we live, many parents are extremely protective of their children and simply do not want them exposed to what they perceive as bad/negative/failing/downhearted experiences. Parents want to give their children what they see as a safe, happy, joyful, stress-free world.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • reme_1
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Not a good idea. She will not be prepared for the real world and all the bullying. You might mention that to your niece's folks.

• 3 weeks ago

cause they love their kids

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

cause they love them

• Will
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Because Gen X and Y rebelled against their boomer parents and disregard proper parenting techniques. They think their kids should decide when they go to bed and should have all of the latest electronics at a young age. 

My cousin's daughter is 13 and she has had a smartphone since she was 8. I had to take it upon myself to correct what my cousin and his wife did wrong. I convinced my second-cousin to put down her phone, ditch social media, make friends, and get active or at least hang out in person with her friends. I told her the blunt truth about her future being filled with anxiety because she never gets out. For example, she will leave home one day and have a panic attack because she won't know where to find something at the store. She'll be afraid to even explore Chicago because the thought of going into this large maze full of people frightens her since all she's ever known is how to sit at home on social media. 

It's been a while since I last saw her, but I'd like to think she took my advice and tried to be better. 

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

It's only those who can afford it. There always has been some overindulging in children by parents. I'll speculate why it's probably increasing.

More households with two busy working parents. The kids are bought off instead of time given to them.

Large skew of wealth has some very wealthy households. The pampered spoiled kids may be more "visible" but maybe not as many of them.

Society is less focused on working for success and instilling values to work.

More "toys" available than ever before.

• 3 weeks ago

Because parents in the past abused their disciplinary methods.

Now any discipline at all is ruled out as abuse. Which makes kids grow up to be weak. No backbone.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.