nikkals asked in PetsCats · 3 weeks ago

Why do my cat attack me when he wants me to rub him?

I have a cat name Chewy. When he wants my attention to rub him I will but then he starts attacking me by bitting me and scratching why do he do this?

It was hard to choose the best answer because I got a lot of great answer.

Favorite Answer

If he was ever feral that could be the reason why. I’m not sure why feral cats do this, but I’ve had several fosters get bitten while they pet them. Or over stimulation can cause them to get overly excited and attack. He may keep asking for you to pet him, but if you do it to much he may be asking you to back off, or the place you pet him might cause him to bite as well. 

• nikkals3 weeks agoReport

That makes sense. The only thing is that he wasn't feral in fact I had to bottle feed him. BUT!! His cat mother was a feral cat.

Cats like being pet, but they also like to play! Sometimes when Chewy has been pet enough, he wants to play instead. Watch out for when he starts acting funny and stop petting him and get him a toy instead :) 

Source(s): 5 yrs. cat fostering
  • Ocimom

Sometimes cats have a short tolerance for petting.  Watch for the warning signs of laid back ears.  When your cat does this stop petting.

teeth pushing on your skin and claw into your skin...means harder. Teeth and claws resting on skin means lighten-up. Cat is just communicating what it wants. 

• Maxi

The cat is over stimulated by you when you 'rub' it and reacts to that over stimulation with an 'attack

His belly, or in general? If it’s his belly, it’s because cats show you their belly to demonstrate trust (as it’s a very vulnerable part of their body) and you’re betraying that trust when you touch it. If it’s in general, talk to his vet or a behavioralist.

And he’s super cute. Best of luck.

he is playing with u. mine does it too and I encourage it

maybe he thinks hes playing with you

• art

he does it because it works, he has learned that if he attacks you then you will reward him by rubbing him