Have you ever had this computer problem before?

Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit)

AMD-FX 8300 @ 3.3 ghz

32GB RAM (ram is only 6 to 8 months old)

4 WD hard drives C:\ drive is 500gb, that is probably my oldest drive in this computer, maybe 5 years old.

So since I replaced my RAM from the old ram I had, which I'm guessing can be from 6 to 8 months ago, maybe longer. And yes I purchased the correct ram for my system.

Today when I booted up, and went to open Firefox, nothing happened. I right clicked on the desktop, hourglass but no menu. Right clicked on the taskbar, nothing. Then the screen turned whiteish. Like, you could still see the desktop and all icons on the screen, but a white something was covering all of that.

I turned off the computer, turned it back on, boot in normal mode. Same thing happened. Ran safe mode, ran system restore and as of right now, this computer is working as it should be.

Have you had something similar happen on your desktop computer?

No, I haven't downloaded anything suspicious, the last thing that I remember doing, was uploading a video to youtube after watching Netflix. No I don't do torrents, yes I do know what I am doing, it's just, this is a completely new problem I've never had happen, that suddenly happened with no warning.

Nothing with this system has dramatically changed, other than an installation of Sony Vegas Pro 13 maybe a week ago, which yes I own legitimately.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

something happened to the operating system. and you restored it. good. suggest you run windows repair tool overnight ... it's job is to check every windows file and replace any that have gone bad.

why would a file go bad? maybe one spot on the HDD died and the file went with it.

Source(s): grampa

Reseat the ram, or unplug the computer for approximately 24 hours and when unplugged press power button to drain any remaining power inside of it 

• In my case my computer didn't boot with new ram and so I sat my computer unplugged and discharged from hidden electricity for 24 hours and it booted up after 24 hours and it worked. 

• YKhan

I have a similar system as you, with an FX-8300, but with 16 GB of RAM instead of 32 GB. You didn't mention what type of video card you have. The symptoms you mention sound like video card or driver issues. The system restore may have installed an older video driver, which may have fixed the issue. You might want to reinstall the video driver with the latest version, and by completely removing the older version. There is a utility called Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) that can fully uninstall video drivers, more thoroughly than the drivers' own uninstaller. You should download and run that (easily Googled).

• Lv 7

have you ran a chkdsk scan (with recovery)?

after that, i would run sfc /scannow to check system files.

you may also want to look at the Event Viewer logs for Application and System during those times to see what it said was happening.

beyond that, sometimes uninstalling and reinstalling your antivirus can fix things.

all of these are very viable solutions for such an occurence.

when you are running any browser and go to a webpage, these days pretty much everyone presents one of two screens that trip you up ie 1) a cookie agreement which most keep to either a banner line or a small box with accept/reject options 2) we want to send you notifications. it is the Notifications one that usually turns your screen Grey and PREVENTS continuation or navigation away until an agreement is accepted or rejected. your firefox has taken you somewhere like that, this would often be an agreement you do ONCE but will re-appear anytime you CLEAR your Cookies/cache or if your browser gets a major update which invalidates your cookies/cache. So I suspect you may have had something flicking dark/light on your task bar waiting for you to select it so it could bring it to the front and get your acceptance. thats about it. ALT + TAB may also have revealed the page that wants your input.

• John

I've never seen the problem you describe.  Maybe run your anti-virus.  I run eset every Friday on all of my 15TB of hds.  I download LOTS of torrents and never had a problem.

I"ve noticed with win10, I never need to reboot anymore.  It apparently fixes everything it doesn't like.

Out of all of the DOS versions since the first one and all of the win versions since the first, win10 is the best OS.

I wish all of the luck to you.

no and maybe you should take it to a computer place, they might be able to fix it

Welp, I do have problems with Firefox now and again, but those problems go away when I shut down Firefox in Task Manager.

IMO, the problem stems from a broken driver or a problem with explorer.exe. It's really hard to say since problems with explorer.exe generally go away when you reboot your system. Since you went right to safe mode, I can't say if explorer.exe was the problem or not.I have problems with clicking on the start menu when the Graphics drivers break. For the most part I use nothing but AMD cards which don't always have the best drivers. 

Safe mode working while "regular mode" doesn't suggests a virus problem

or a problem with some particular piece of hardware

but my first reaction to the screen you describe was "too little RAM".

32 G is huge

but perhaps your RAM *is* acting up (faulty).

#1 - Try a free RAM testing program

#2 - Try a free CPU testing program (Prime 95 is good in my experience)

#3 - Try re-installing OS (I try to do that at least once a year, though sometimes I get lazy...)

My guess

is that #3 is most likely to solve the problem

(guessing your OS and/or hard drive is corrupted)

but note that it is by far the most time-consuming

and does not guarantee a fix.

Of course you should run chkdsk or equivalent on all hard drives

• twiigss3 weeks agoReport

Ahhhh yes I forgot about chkdsk.  Well, I'm worried that it's going to happen when I boot up tomorrow.  If it does, I'll just reinstall Windows 7 then and hopefully have it fixed.  Thanks :)

no, ive never had that problem before, take it to a computer place and let them fix it