Please help. ?

This is gonna sound terrible, but I am afraid of hugging my 6 yo step daughter when she leaves because sometimes she doesn’t want to give me a hug goodbye. What do I need to do? When she’s around me and her dad, she’s loving towards us. Idk why but I can’t stop thinking about what to do when she leaves. Should I put my arm around her still and make the move? Or should I give her a high 5 or fist bump? Or what? Any advice? I don’t want to be afraid. I still want to be loving to her. 

Favorite Answer

Give her the option: handshake hug or high 5. That is what we did at summer camp with the counselors

It sounds terrible alright. You’re just a troll.

Show her that you care and are warm and affectionate, offer your hugs or whatever you wish, but allow her to choose her own response. It may be normal that she is shy with you, you didn't say how long you've known her or under what circumstances, etc. She may feel safer in the presence of her father, as suggested, but just give it time. If you are into a serious relationship with him and you both expect it to last, that's fine; otherwise, it wouldn't be a good idea for him to bring her around to see you in the first place, until and if this is the case.

• Ive known her for about 2 years and she never seems shy around me. I am married to her dad and have been for about 6 mo. 

• Linda

A high five or a fist bump is perfect for those occasions when a hug from you is too much for her.