Could an italian immigrant vote in the 1960s?

If you were an immigrant who came to the United States in 1959 at the age of 19, in Chicago Illinois could you vote in elections? if not what circumstance stopped you?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

to issues in 1959:

1.  You have to be able to prove American  Citizenship to register to vote.

2.  You have to be 21 years old.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

The voting age in the 60’s was 21 but at no time in US history could a non citizen vote. But once this Italian naturalized and turned 21 he could have voted in the US.

• 2 weeks ago

First, the immigrant must have resided in US with a valid green card for the required term, & then become a naturalized citizen before they could vote. Furthermore, until 1971, minimum age to vote was 21. It's only in 1971 that the voting age was reduced to 18.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

i dont see why not

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 weeks ago

I would have been born in 1940.

To vote in 1959, the immigrant had to be (1) a US citizen, which we don't know based on your hypothetical story, and (2) be at least 21 years of age, which a 19-year-old wasn't. The 26th Amendment to the Constitution lowered the voting age from 21 to 18, but it wasn't ratified until 1971.

So there's at least one thing that stopped him, perhaps even two.

• helene
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

Only after they became a CITIZEN and had reached the age of 21. The constitutional amendment to lower the voting age to 18 wasn't ratified until the early seventies.

• Susie
    Lv 6
    2 weeks ago

If they became a citizen and reached the state’s legal voting age. 

• 2 weeks ago

only if a registered voter

• Starrysky
      Lv 7
      2 weeks agoReport

Must be citizen over 21 years back then.  I could not vote until the 1968 Presidential election.  Was not old enough until then.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.