Do you have to get a Visa to go to New York on a weeks holiday (vacation) or only for long stays?

My boyfriends mum was talking about us taking a holiday to New York either next December or the year after, but only for 5 days. I know you have to get a Visa for a long trip or if you plan to live there but what about a 5 day holiday?


We live in the UK btw.

5 Answers

  • A.J.
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

    If UK Citizens, to visit anywhere in the United States for up to 90 days you need current Passports and approved application to the ESTA System, which is the VISA Waiver Program.

    It is down for another day to upgrade and maintain it.

    Look for ESTA:

    And, the details from the UK

    and the US Embassy in the UK

    There is an application and administration approval fee.

    US$4 to apply and US$10 if approved and issued.

    And yes, in case you are wondering, USA citizens pay fees to the UK and need the same type of approval to visit the UK.

  • 3 weeks ago

    You apply for the ESTA visa online. It's pretty easy to get. But you do have to have it for a visit of any length. 

  • 3 weeks ago

    You need a visa for any visit no matter how long.

  • 3 weeks ago

    As UK citizen you don't need a visa to visit the USA for 90 days or less as a tourist. Just bring your passport.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

    You need a passport to visit the United States if you’re from another foreign country. Until October 20, 2020, if you’re from a US territory (like Puerto Rico), you just need a drivers license. After that, you’ll need

    a real ID or passport just to travel from one state or US territory to another. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.