Anonymous

A past professor told me to keep in touch...But I m not entirely sure what to say...?

I had this professor about a year ago but chatted with her for a while this past spring in person and she told me to make sure to keep in touch with her (I ve moved away). I said I would let her know if I made it into grad or med school but she said that no, she wants to know everything that s going on. Obviously it s been a while since that talk and I m thinking it s about time to send an email. However, I m not sure what to write. Do I treat her like a friend now and just ask what she s been up to, about the upcoming holidays, etc?

She did offer to write me a letter of rec when I finished her class. She said I was a student she would remember for a long time.

• Susie

Address her like you did in school, unless she told you otherwise.  Simply tell her you are writing to let her know what you are doing now, and to ask for a letter of recommendation for?????     After you explain where you are now and what you are doing, end with that you hope she is well and have enjoyable plans for the holidays. Then IF she wishes to write you back about her personal life, she can.  Let her decide just how “friendly” to be.  

• I already got the letter way back when. This would simply be to keep in touch.

When you become a self-made billionaire, who successfully runs for President, twice, he'll expect a thank you. Nothing to worry about.