I jumped a fence along a freeway into grove to pick some fruit. My friend says it's trespassing and theft.  How can I tell him he is wrong?

My friend and I were on the freeway when we drove past this large fruit grove. I decided to stop and get out pick some fruit. I had to jump a fence to get onto the property. When I look closely at the trees I realized there was not really any fruit on them just something starting to grow so I picked something off the tree and went back to the car. My friend tried to tell me that I was trespassing on private property and committing theft. I told them that is not what I was doing in that was not what happened. I was just going over there by myself to pick a couple of pieces of fruit for personal use it's not like I was trespassing onto somebody's land or stealing anything. Plus there were not any no trespassing signs posted anywhere. How can I get my friend to understand that I was not trespassing or committing theft especially since there were Lee wasn't anything growing on the tree in the first place.

you are a trespassing thief.

I would love to see your spin when you get arrested for grand larceny or dealing drugs.

You can try to reason all you want....at the end of the day, you did trespass and yes, you committed theft because you stole fruit just like it would be theft if you took fruit from the produce section of the grocery store. Even if neither was ripe.

How would you like it if you grew something in your yard, and you spent time planting, fertilizing, watering and caring for it..... to come outside one day and find that somebody picked it apart?

YOU WOULDN'T LIKE IT.

If you owned those trees then you are absolutely right. 

Did you plant those trees on your land and maintain those trees? If not, you are stealing if you pick off of the trees. You have no right to take anything 'for your personal use' when it is not yours to take. If you didn't take anything, you didn't steal but you were trespassing. There does not have to be signs when there are barriers erected to keep you out. You were trespassing.

Your crock of bullsh it shows in that if you were not a very lousy troll you would have been specific about the "fruit" you STOLE.  You know like apples or peaches.  So you are merely a liar.

Out in the country you might get a backside full of rock salt, even bird shot for doing that.  You stated that it wasn't like, just one tree growing by the side of the road, you said that it was, "this large fruit grove" therefore somebody was doing it for profit.  Furthermore you had to jump a fence to do it!  (You may have screwed up their fruit tree by tugging at it and snapping off unripe fruit.)

On my college campus, the persimmons drop fruit all over the sidewalk, and everybody just steps on it.  I pick up all the ones that aren't smashed yet and that's fine.  Wild raspberries strangle the hedges everywhere, and if you don't get them the weedwhacker will, and they're fine to eat.  Blackberries grow all along the bayou, and nobody cares, the mower will get them, and mulberries pop up everywhere, and like tribbles they're born pregnant!  They're tasty and people with white cars hate that they will stain your car purple, and nobody cares if you eat them.  Tough little grapes grow in a lot of the parks, and they're free to eat as long as you don't PICK them.

BUT, orange trees, grapefruits, other citrus, pecans, bananas, melons, all of these were planted by somebody on purpose, and they're usually on private property, so; off limits unless you get permission!  Even with loquats and kumquats growing out by the street, you really should get permission first!

You jumped a fence, demarking private property. NO Trespassing signs are not required. Yes, you are guilty of trespassing on private property & theft of their property. No excuses for your bad behavior.

• Nuff Sed
      3 weeks agoReport

A fence along a highway might be for a purpose other than the enclosure of private property, making signs a legal necessity, under various state laws.

• Frank

You are an IDIOT. You were trespassing and STEALING. If a cop saw you...you would have been arrested. Just because you didn't get what you wanted...YOU TOOK SOMETHING that DOES NOT BELONG TO YOU.

Tresspassing. Might have been detained, charged with a crime, prosecuted.

Or worse.

Ever see signs "Survivors will be prosecuted"?

• Nuff Sed
      3 weeks agoReport

Nobody said anything about signs. Please don't make up facts to fit your own ignorant answer.