Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 3 weeks ago

Did I do something wrong?

I made my Christmas cake today. I greased and lined the tin and placed the cake on a baking tray. After the cake was baked there was a small amount of melted butter on the tray (about a tsp) now did this come from the tin or did some leak out of the cake?

@Anonymous - So what does that mean? There was no cake batter on the tin just a small amount of butter.

@C - I greased and lined the tin. Bottom and sides. 

• C
    Favorite Answer

It came from the tin.  Your tin is not perfectly tight at the base so the thin melted butter (or whatever you used), could slip out between the cracks.  This is okay for a thick batter like Christmas cake.  Putting the tin on a tray is insurance against any leakage.  You were a little generous with the greasing.  If you line a tin with paper rather than greasing and flouring it you only need enough to stick the paper to the sides and base.  I shouldn't worry about it.  A teaspoon is hardly anything in the grand scheme of things.

If it was a spingform, it leaked. Butter is thinner than cake batter. It often leaks out of springforms, but the cake won't.

• denise

Its probably come from the 'greased' tin.

If this is a 2 part pan like a springform pan or one with a removable bottom I am sure it was just a bit of butter that seeped out.  Nothing to worry about.  If you use the same to make a cheesecake make sure you double wrap it with foil before you bake it in a water bath. 

The bottom of the tin is not perfectly flat. The baking tray is not perfectly flat.