Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 3 weeks ago

Workout advice: Lifting or cardio?

I’m 5’5 about 120 pounds, I want to build my glutes but I do not want my thighs to get bigger. What should I do for working out? My diet consists of mostly plant based foods and I do not eat a lot. How can I build glutes without getting bulky thighs?

• Louis

I'm going to endorse both. 

aesthetics aside both are important to remain healthy and in shape. 

There at least 10 good strength training exercises for building glutes. You could do them 2 - 3 times a week but don't work them two days in a row. Some of them are best performed at a gym but there are quite a few ones that require little or no equipment and can be done in your living room. 

Cardio is also really important for basic health. At least 45 minutes a week. Just going out and running is still pretty good but if you really want to work out the glutes you should find hilly terrain. the steeper the incline the more you workout the glutes. 

A steep incline on a treadmill works really well. I would just start with an incline of 1 - 2 to begin with and then just increase the incline a little bit each week till you find it uncomfortable. 

You can also use the stair master and just incrementally and gradually increase the resistance. 

The Elliptical works pretty good too. Again just gradually and incrementally increase the resistance. Some gyms have ellipticals that have adjustable inclines. Those might be the very best.

You could do strength training as much as 6 days a week, alternating between lower body and upper body workouts. And then just add the cardio either as an extended warm-up or a big finale.  Or you could alternate strength training workout with cardio workouts. 

The most important thing is that you get the workouts done. Not really what order you do them in. 

• .

You build muscles by working them. Cardio is better for burning fat, not building muscle. If you want to build your glutes, then do exercises that target that area (and use weights, you need plenty of resistance if you want to build some muscle).

.

See the source link for a exercises that will help. Things like hip thrusts, hip extensions, squats, step-ups, deadlifts, kick-backs, and lunges (to name a few). 

.

Also, to build muscle, you need a calorie excess. If you do not eat a lot, then you may find it difficult to add muscle (your body has to have some fuel to build that issue).

Do both.  If you are a woman, it will be really difficult to get bulky by doing some basic weightlifting. A fully body weigh lifting routine or circuit training should help you develop lean muscles. Doing cardio is good for you heath and burns calories.  It might or might not burn fat from your legs.  Fat doesn't turn into muscle. Fat is fat an muscle is muscle.  IF you were to lose 5 pounds of fat and add 5 pounds of muscle, your body would look leaner even though your weight hasn't changed.  

As an aside, your body needs protein to build muscle, Make sure your getting what you need either from plant or animal sources.  

Both. Lift weights first, and then do cardio.

i would try them both and see which one you like better and then you'll know

you could try both of them and see which one works better for you