What can I use in place of a razor blade for a crystal radio?

I am going to help my grandson make a crystal radio but his mother does not want him to have a razor blade so I am wondering what I can use in place of the razor blade?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

The razor blade was used in what was called a 'Fox Hole' radio.  Supposedly soldiers used an old razor blade as a detector for a simple crystal set in the foxhole. 

A classical crystal radio uses a Galena Crystal as the detector.  As mentioned elsewhere, this has the Galena mounted in a lead holder for ease of use. 

A more modern crystal radio will use a solid state diode.  A germanium device is the best, try to find a 1N34 or 1N34A diode. 

Good luck and have fun!

• Anonymous
    7 days ago

All you need is a cheap (and tiny) Germanium diode, available from any electronics component store or via Ebay etc.

If you want it to LOOK like it uses such an ancient practice razor blade and cats' whisker, put such on as a dummy, but the diode is so far superior as a detector than any razor blade/ Gallium crystal and cats' whisker setup that such things should NOT be seriously considered.

• 3 weeks ago

There should be thousands of plans for crystal radios online. 

• 3 weeks ago

i would ask your mother since shes the one that dont want you to use it

• dan3 weeks agoReport

His mother. My grandson. My mom is dead

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

You don't need a razor blade.  Get a kit that has a diode instead of a bucket of crystal.  Your daughter wouldn't want her kid having the crystal anyway -- that crystal is made of LEAD.

• 3 weeks ago

I have seen safety pins used.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

i would ask your mother since shes the one that dont want you to have one

• dan3 weeks agoReport

What? Did you read my question? I saID MY GRANDSON AND HIS MOTHER!

• 3 weeks ago

I've not seen a crystal radio use a razor blade unless it's to strip the insulation off the wires.

Get a kit that has all the components included.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

You mean to cut the wires?  A wire cutter, of course.  I've never seen a razor blade IN a crystal radio.  Steel isn't a very good conductor, anyway, except at VERY high voltages.

• enn
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

A simple sharp multi-purpose tool knife with a good handle grip should suffice. Good luck!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.