Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 3 weeks ago

When did it become an offense to lie to a recruiter?

I interestingly read the life of Frank Buckles, last American World War I survivor who died not long ago. He lied to his recruiters to join at age 16. Was it already an offense? Excuse my words if are incorrect, I don't handle military terms. Thanks. 

@Ninefinger, not only you ain't getting BA for sure, you show how rude some military are

That was what I was expecting, an insult to report you :)

@Anon you have also been reported

Favorite Answer

I think it always was an offense, but he was not caught 

Not an offense in the legal sense. But it is a reason to get kicked out. It’s called fraudulent enlistment and is still a term used to kick people out who lie during the processing of the military.

18 U.S. Code §1621.Perjury generally

Whoever—

(1)having taken an oath before a competent tribunal, officer, or person, in any case in which a law of the United States authorizes an oath to be administered, that he will testify, declare, depose, or certify truly, or that any written testimony, declaration, deposition, or certificate by him subscribed, is true, willfully and contrary to such oath states or subscribes any material matter which he does not believe to be true; or

(2)in any declaration, certificate, verification, or statement under penalty of perjury as permitted under section 1746 of title 28, United States Code, willfully subscribes as true any material matter which he does not believe to be true;

is guilty of perjury and shall, except as otherwise expressly provided by law, be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both. This section is applicable whether the statement or subscription is made within or without the United States.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 773; Pub. L. 88–619, §?1, Oct. 3, 1964, 78 Stat. 995; Pub. L. 94–550, §?2, Oct. 18, 1976, 90 Stat. 2534; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, §?330016(1)(I), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147.)

Everybody joining the military lies.  That's just something they say to use against you and get you pissed off when you're in there.  They probably want a menacing force, not a friendly, flowery one.  Ever notice how government employees seem to be the unhappiest, most abusive people on the planet?  

It is not.  Fraudulent enlistment is a crime and has been since the advent of the UCMJ.  However, if a recruiter asks your name and you lie but do not then fraudulently enlist, you have committed no crime.

Well they might be able to remove you from the army for that I can't prosecute you the person was 16 when they made the statement.

• martin

Whether military or not, lying to get something official, such as getting to join the service, is fraud, and illegal. Nevertheless, it was done by thousands of teenagers wanting to join the Army in World War 2, because so many people couldn't find jobs during the continuing Great Depression.

fraud has always been an offense

I agree with Nine. If you don't know why. You're not smart enough to comprehend the reason.

What you didn’t know is that Jabba The Hut is 💩