Kars
Kars asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 3 weeks ago

Do Other countries have like Louisiana creole cuisine, or Cajun cuisine ?

Favorite Answer

Interesting question.

My family is from Louisiana, and I still cook many of my family's traditional dishes. So, I'm very familiar with the cuisine. I was born, and still live in, Los Angeles, so I'm very familiar with the cuisine of a lot of other countries.

So, the answer to your question is yes, and no.

Louisiana, particularly New Orleans, rests on the mouth of the Mississippi River, which feeds into the Gulf of Mexico. Consequently, there were peoples from all over the world using the region as a principle port of entry into the U.S., and naturally, their culinary influences reached the people living there.

Creole and Cajun cuisine is a Hodge-podge of the many influences brought to that state. Including influences from the Native American tribes that inhabited the area. (Sassafras, or gumbo filet, is a spice they used.)

So, yes, other countries have foods like Louisiana Creole and Cajun cuisine, but no, they are not exactly the same. The different cooking techniques and ingredients were morphed into something new to create a unique style of food.

I could go on and on about the inferences and examples of what I mean, but that would bring me into writing a novel of information on the subject. Not gonna happen.

• denise

There may be creole or cajun restaurants in other countries.

Creole and Cajun are ethnic minorities. If that's what you're getting at then yes, ethnic minorities have a distinct food culture in most areas. Szechuan vs Mandarin food is a clear example for both minorities as well as what you may have meant, spice soupy meaty type comfort foods.

• Mark

Oh yes, if you mean a "specialised cuisine within the framework of a general cuisine".  Almost all countries do.  If you mean "food that tastes somewhat like Cajun and Creole food", yes again.  France, South Africa, and Brazil.