if a boss changes your schedule do you have to do it?

I started a new job a couple weeks ago. It was a second job, part time. The job was advertised at four mornings per week Monday-Thursday. The boss and I spoke extensively beforehand that I would work Monday through Thursday from 9-1 only. Not even two weeks into the job he hands me my schedule working me all days on the weekends until 10 pm. I'm a single mom and can't do that. I have kids. It's better for me to work during the week when they attend childcare. I pay for full time childcare during the week. any weekend work would be very expensive for me for the extra childcare I'd have to pay. I told the boss I wasn't able to do those hours and he let me go saying he needs someone who can work the hours he wants. I know legally he can fire whenever he wants but I'm curious for the future. if a boss suddenly changes your schedule you have to do it or you lose your job? is that how it works in all fields?

In the emails before I even went in for the interview I explained very clearly in our emails that I can ONLY work those hours and that I have kids. I said that I can only work for employers who understand my schedule and okay with the hours I can work. He assured me that my availability was perfect for him 20 hours a week. two weeks later I'm scheduled all days of the week, until 10 pm on the weekends and up to 35 hours a week, way more than we ever agreed to. it's just so weird. 

I meant 16 hours.

Favorite Answer

you need to remind your boss that hey i got responsibilities outside of work that i mentioned before. if they don't seem to care i'd leave. LOTS of employers are like that sad to see it is so damn common. people need to understand that employers are replaceable and that workers are assets not liabilities meaning despite you are new you could be a very valuable worker in the future but because they refuse to even listen they lose out and possiblity you end up working for a competitor which is not good for them. 

if you say you have "OPEN AVAILABILITY" like i do they can schedule you as they please at any hours. to avoid this i tell them 1-2 weeks in advance for certain days off if i need to go to a function or w.e. they usually are okay with it and if goin on vacation i tell them 1 month in advance then i remind them 2 weeks before i leave. they tell me no? fk um i tell um good luck. with that amount of time given in advance they should be more then capable of filling in my shifts. 

i work in the culinary field btw but yes it happens a LOT.. almost weekly my schedule changes days and times and days off i set open availability though but even when i say i cant work i tell my boss a 2nd time and he changes it. usually they don't tell me no but in your case if you can't make the times/hours and you already told him once tell him again face to face if nothing changes i'd leave. literally shows a lack of understanding/caring for employee's as a manager/boss and THAT is someone you don't want to work for tbh. 

• zipper

If you want to keep the job; YES you do. But talk to personnel about it they may be appeal to help.  Good jobs are hard to come by now, so do what you have to to keep this one!

• Eva

In the US, you are an "at will" employee and can be terminated at any time or any or no reason. If you can't work when they need you they will find someone who can. This is especially prevalent in retail and fast food.

No, it is not how all jobs work. Remind him of the hours you were hired to work and that you had made it clear that you can't work any other hours.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.

That's the way it works everywhere unless you have a written employment contract spelling out the specifics. Any change to those specifics without you agreeing to them would be cause to sue for breach of contract. Without that, you have no legal protection.

• Judy

Yes, if you can't or won't work the hours you're scheduled, you will likely be terminated. Sorry.

Yes or get fired.

* kelvin is giving out false information.

i would just talk to him about it

No you don't have to do it.   Quitting or being fired are the other two options.

Businesses need employees who can work the hours they need covered.   If the employee is unwilling to do so, they are of no use to the employer and will be replaced with someone who is. 

• kelvin

no that is illegal and he knew that when you first started working their as you stated in your question and you need too file a claim for wrongful dismissal with your labor board and what he did was illegal

• kelvin
      3 weeks agoReport

my source is the labor board people and they make the rules not me

The employer makes the schedule they schedule you for when they need you....

Kelvin, you are wrong ! in the US you are an at will employee unless you are protected by a union or have a specific written work contract.

• kelvin
      3 weeks agoReport

not if they know before they even hire you when your available and able too work and what he did was illegal