Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 3 weeks ago

Is it possible to build an entire house by yourself?

I mean EVERYTHING- floors to ceiling, plumbing, electricity, digging the foundation, etc.- no help from anyone.

30 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Sure, in the olden days they did this a lot. No such thing as contractors, mamybe a neighbor willing to roll up a sleeve and help a bit.

Even easier today, all the turnkey stuff and prefabed.

• 3 weeks ago

yes.................

• 3 weeks ago

you can do anything as long as you have the time money and resources

• 3 weeks ago

I worked with a radiologist years ago build his coastal house along cal route 101,aka pch,pacific coast hwy.the doc was a strong english bloke who decided to use brit pound to build a nice house in the colonies

when dollars were cheap,vs the pound,,i did a few weeks of casual labor with him,,assisting in carrying upright timbers to set and nail in place,do landscaping on tough rock hard california red and yellow clay,,damn house was on an almost vertical slope,150 ft to the shore below.

this doc worked off a drawing & plan.putting up a house for him was learn as you go DYI,a lot of hard work,careful instruction to the guys who poured concrete,watching that the stuff was the correct mix of water sand and dry concrete,t timbers were laminated,,all parts had to be inspected for tightly glued layers,no insect holes,bellies,( except for the crown,it always goes down--------->)< this part faces up,meaning the laid and nailed in timber is stronger/better in weight bearing,If you have stamina, strength,can see a plan made up follow  it up know the local and state building regs,and codes,,have at it,otherwise,have somebody else do it all

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

I'm most of the way there. It takes lots of time, but as I have somewhere else to live and am single it doesn't matter too much. It's definitely a learning experience and hopefully, if it doesn't fall down, I'll feel real pride in it when done.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

It certainly is, but it would take you forever. If you really want to go it alone you would need to plan the work so that everything is of a size and weight that one person can handle, and there has been plenty of people who have gone down that route. Things like electrics can be done by you, but they need to be tested and certified by someone unless you are qualified.

• 3 weeks ago

In theory, yes.

In practice, if you have to ask, it is unlikely you could build a structure that will stand, much less meet building codes.

• 3 weeks ago

possible? yes. lengthy? very. and the local building permits authority will be very unhappy with the partial work incomplete for months and months

• John
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Quite a few people do that.  Of course, "by yourself" doesn't mean you never have helpers.  You aren't going to be installing roof trusses by yourself.

• zman
      Lv 4
      3 weeks agoReport

Trusses are just an example.  There are many things that are possible, but stupidly impractical to try to do by yourself.

• 3 weeks ago

People that know how do it everyday

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.