Car problems ?

So my dads car cut out a few days ago. We had aa come out and look it over, he said it looks like the starter motor.. so we booked that In.. had the battery and the starter motor replaced.. but now there’s another problem the starter motor is getting power all the time and doesn’t stop when the car is off, so can’t drive cos it will burn it out.Any advice or idea. What to do or does my dad just should get a new car.

Tell me that you didn't do the job yourself. PLEASE! You didn't replace the solenoid. Did you use the shims? No, you didn't. Now you've chipped the teeth on the fly wheel. Just have it towed to an AA approved garage.

You can't expect any help without telling us the year make model and motor size.

I see no question posed here

• don r

The problem is a stuck starter solenoid. You didn't need a new starter or new battery, but, now those are new and those are yours and the money spent no longer is yours. I hope the constant run didn't damage the new starter, but I bet it got hot enough to cook a magpie and that is very bad for starters.

Sounds like the solenoid has failed in the closed circuit position. You need to replace it before to drive back to the garage. Trace the wire from the starter motor and see whether it's possible to disconnect it. I think you will need a size ten spanners. 

You paid to have it repaired. They did not repair it...did they? It is half a job. Call them to fix it as per agreement.  They would have noticed that right away.  That is a starter problem...meaning the one they put in is not good...or THEY(AA) hooked up the wiring wrong.

. The whole idea of repairing a car, is to fix the minor problem to AVOID buying a new car.

To me the solution to the problem is AA.

It probably wasn't the starter motor. (They are known to last the life of the car...so 50 years)

Batteries die every 7 years...for the average North American $100. lead acid battery.  Some die in 5. Some even sooner.

Your Dad took a looks like to be a diagnosis. He booked and got what he asked for. Now he needs to book an actual diagnosis and go from there. Daughter. 

• Ron

The obvious answer is to call the shop that did the work and tell them to make it right

Don't run it while it's like that. Disconnect the battery (as I'm sure you already have) and get hold of whoever did the work and get them to put it right. They can either fix it at your place or tow it to theirs.

If they replaced the starter, and it isn't working, take it back and insist they correct the problem by either installing it correctly, or replacing it if it is defective.