Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 3 weeks ago

How would a 1km comet impact directly to Hanoi have changed the course of the veitnam and Cold War?

If a 1 km very fast comet such as a sun grazing earth crossing comet such as a comet lovejoy type comet had hit Hanoi during the veitnam war, the majority of north veitnam would have been lit on fire and Hanoi would have been destroyed.

Thankfully the fireball would be slightly below the horizon sparing south veitnam the immediate effect. The spot from the jungle fires and city fires as well as the crater ejecta as well as ice from the comet would fill the stratosphere leading to a few years of relative cold comet winter.

Russia would have been sent to the deep freeze and unable to grow food and keep warm. They would not be able to support any remnants of north veitnam, and America would have southern states that would still have a growing season during the comet winter.

In states like Texas, Florida and Georgia and Louisiana and such it would be a little cooler but business as usual, maybe some farmers changing crops for a few years.

Maybe some Americans moving south and more sun belt growth?

Possibly soviet collapse sooner? Famine would cause problems in Soviet Union?

Northern Europe is sustained by food imports from the Mediterranean region which might stay warm enough through the comet winter?

Once things thaw back out, what would come of Canada and Russia and other countries in polar regions? Low latitude countries obviously couldn’t export too much food during the years of cold?

What would the world be like today?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

>>If a 1 km very fast comet such as a sun grazing earth crossing

>>comet such as a comet lovejoy type comet had hit Hanoi during

>>the veitnam war, the majority of north veitnam would have been

>>lit on fire and Hanoi would have been destroyed.

I think that’s true… it’s 1/6th the size of rock that wiped out the dinosaurs, which would create quite a punch. I would imagine the sound of the impact would’ve reached all the way to Saigon, about 1,700 km away from Hanoi.

>>Thankfully the fireball would be slightly below the horizon sparing south

>>veitnam the immediate effect.

Well…debatable… I would think the northern part of the country would certainly feel the heat/blast effects for some distance across the border; I don’t know if there’d be tsunamis from the impact, but… possibly.

>>The spot from the jungle fires and city fires as well as the crater ejecta as

>>well as ice from the comet would fill the stratosphere leading to a few years

>>of relative cold comet winter.

I’ll buy that…

>>Russia would have been sent to the deep freeze and unable to grow

>>food and keep warm. They would not be able to support any remnants

>>of north veitnam, and America would have southern states that would

>>still have a growing season during the comet winter.

Hmmm… I’d think the Fertile Crescent would be affected about equally as America’s ability to grow food – they’d be impaired, but not out for the count.

>>In states like Texas, Florida and Georgia and Louisiana and such it would

>>be a little cooler but business as usual, maybe some farmers changing

>>crops for a few years.

I’d think California would see a change, probably a wetter, colder period, but with the state constantly flirting with drought – it may actually be assisting farmers there.

>>Maybe some Americans moving south and more sun belt growth?

I could see that too… especially from the frozen North states. (I’m not sure why people stay there *now*… a Christmas in Wisconsin and Minnesota has cured me, certainly…)

>>Possibly soviet collapse sooner? Famine would cause problems in

>>Soviet Union?

No… in that time period of Cold War, they’d *let* people die, but never admit to anything – or blame the starvation on capitalist pigs… If there were any problems, it wouldn’t be on the news…

>>Northern Europe is sustained by food imports from the Mediterranean

>>region which might stay warm enough through the comet winter?

Why would that region be spared? The Med is a warm body of water, but with less sunlight, I would hazard a guess that Europe would be affected much the same as Russa and the US would be.

>>Once things thaw back out, what would come of Canada and Russia and

>>other countries in polar regions?

They likely would’ve had a reduction in population; but I’d bet those that left out of necessity would return despite any hardships they may have to face. Heck… I would – if that’s your home, you do the best you can.

>>Low latitude countries obviously couldn’t export too much food during the

>>years of cold?

You mean, close to the equator…? I’m not sure why this would be true…

>>What would the world be like today?

Today, it would be 60 years later… Hanoi would be a round lagoon on the Vietnam coastline, probably bordered by resorts and shantytowns... the punch from the comet probably wiped out ½ to 2/3 of the Northern Vietnamese population; quelling the war and removing the interest in the place by the superpowers. South Vietnam would’ve likely responded to the North’s people, helping where possible, ignoring their differences. Instead of a communist regime, you’d likely have a shaky republic.

• 3 weeks ago

It would belong to the USA now

Without any War

• sasha
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Not just Vietnam, it would have devastated all of Asia due to secondary effects, and most of the world would have experienced major weather and climate effects.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.