Should I be worried about landlord charging me for this?

I'm moving in decembet..I'm worried about a fracture in the wall underneath the window that I did not catch at move in, but I know I did not create the damage. In the original pictures, the wall is hidden behind a couch and the windows are covered by a black cloth. The blinds were horrible but I replaced them, i did mention the windows too. He did not provide a checklist or copy of lease. Should i be worried? In texas

Always take pictures when you move in.. then send them to the landlord immediately. Waiting until you move you have no proof that you ever addressed it verbally.

Will Spackle cover it? Why risk having to pay $100 for a repairman to have to come in to fill it in when you can pick up a a $5 can at any hardware store.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.

When I moved into my former landlord's home, I was the one who had the lease, and I was a tenant. My landlord never had a copy of my lease that I made, and I got him to sign my lease. I think both parties should have a copy of a lease, but my former landlord never asked me to make him a copy.

Anyway I don't know what is written on your lease. You might have to pay. Because your landlord can say you made the fracture, or maybe your landlord doesn't care about it. I really don't know!

If the damage was due to sagging plaster, poorly installed or leaking windows etc and you informed him, it is not your fault or responsibility.   If the wall cracked from furniture being slammed into it, or you allowed water intrusion without telling him, then you might be liable.  The big thing is he can charge you dor damage you did.  Not for damage that occurs naturally due to structural defects.

A cracked wall shouldn't be more than a $100 repair.

Source(s): Pro Painter
    • No
      2 weeks agoReport

Depends on what material it is and what caused the crack.  If it is plaster, you can do it yourself for that, but if you hire someone, multiple visits will be required to sand, add a float coat, sand, skim coat etc.  No way you'd hire someone for less than $100.  And that doesn't address the cause

That is not something a tenant would typically cause.   They may try to charge you but you have the right to dispute the charges in court. 

Did you make and keep your own checklist and photos? If you don't have a copy of the lease, request one now. You should have been provided one right after you signed.

• marty

It was up to you to look and make notes about anything broken or damaged before you moved in. You can be charged if you have no proof it was already damaged when you took the property. 

Report the crack now by photographing and sending.  Explain that you only found it recently because furniture had hidden it.  That way your landlord cannot accuse you of failing to report something which could make you liable.

That kind of damage really can never be caused by a tenant but you do have to report it.  Good that there were photos. 

• Anonymous2 weeks agoReport

The photos dont explicitly show damages other than carpet stains. The windows are covered by a black cloth and the wall where the crack is hidden. Behind a couch.

If there are no pictures showing the fracture before you moved in, it would possibly be your word against the landlord should he/she try to charge you for it.  Possible defect in the foundation of the structure.  You should have your own copy of the lease agreement.  As a landlord, I always take pictures of the property prior to move in by a new tenant.  I include "faults" as well as detailed pictures of walls, doors, windows, etc.  Also, always a good idea for the tenant to take pictures BEFORE they start moving their furniture and belongings into a new place..............Hindsight is 20/20.