How does language affect the way other peoples Perceive us  and our identity ?

• Dv8s

The way we talk, and the language we use, gives us a pretty good indication of where someone is from. I know, anywhere I go in the world, people know when I speak, that I'm from California. I didn't think that I had an accent at all, until I traveled.

• Zirp

Most ethnicities cannot be claimed by people who don't even speak the language.

When someone starts speaking Dutch to me, I hear whether (s)he is Dutch, Flemish or something else within a minute. When I speak Dutch, lots of Dutch will hear which part of the country I am from, within a minute.

Another thing is that languages don't have words for the exact same things, or the same appreciation of qualities. Some behaviours are frowned upon in one culture but appreciated/encouraged in another.

Dutch has a word for stubborn/pigheaded when it's a good thing. None of us will claim that using the F-word is "unprofessional"

Every language has its limits. Once I was in an international group, and there was this guy.... Those of us who spoke German all liked him. Those who forced him to speak English all thought he was a rear-orifice. How come? Well, at least partly because many of the words Germans use to be nice have no equivalent in English...