Is peppermint oil safe to consume?

I added three drops of peppermint oil to a cup of coconut milk, cashews, dates, frozen banana, spinach, cacao nibs and ice. Is this safe? I feel it was a bit strong so I will go to two drops next time. But consuming this amount of peppermint oil is safe right ?

• denise

Yes, as you say just add 2 drops next time, just have these 'shakes' in moderation as there are fatty foods in there!

There are food-grade oils and essential oils...but peppermint is safe to eat so I don't see why not. There is such a thing as edible peppermint oil but I don't know which one you have. Look on the side of the bottle, it should say either "essential oil" or food grade. LorAnn is a popular edible brand.

Consuming essential oils is never a good idea, and even using them topically without being heavily diluted is a bad idea. It can make you very ill, and uou should probably stick to peppermint extract, which is different, less expensive, and most importantly: safe to eat

Yes, it's fine.

Motor oil sure is