When I dry my clothes it takes a long time. If I am drying shirts, jeans, and towels would using heavy duty would that help?

I currently use normal and not heavy duty. I recently had the lint removed to

help the dryer work better. the dryer is old. would using heavy hurt the clothes.

most dryers take about an hour, mine takes two hours, sometime longer.

Favorite Answer

Different dryers are different, I currently have an older dryer that takes a rather long time.

Be sure your lint trap is cleaned with each load and that the venting system is not obstructed. Having a full lint trap or obstructed vent will cause the dryer to take longer and also be a fire hazard.

You may also be trying to dry too much at one time. Try drying smaller loads.

• 1 week ago

When my old dryer took longer than an hour, I knew to investigate as why my dryer was not drying. It ended up I found to be a build up of lint in the vent not allowing the moisture to escape. This of course is hazardous and could have started a fire. So please take the time to take the back of the vent hose off the back of your dryer and clean the escape route well and if it's not there you see a build up or blockage then it's most likely in your hose leading to the outside or even possibly both. Good luck...

Source(s): personal experience...
  • Byrd

You are overloading

"recently had the lint removed" . . . . good move - but removed from what ? ?  The inside lint filter should be cleaned after each use . . . . the exhaust tube needs to be cleaned periodically - for it's full length.  If that's what you had cleaned - possible there is a kink when they put the dryer back?  Did they clean right through to the outlet?  Is the outlet flap stuck?

Divide the load in half.   You're putting too much in the dryer at one time.

You need a new dryer. You're going to end up paying out the butt to dry your clothes, more than a newer, more efficient dryer would cost in the long run.

If any of your clothing is permanent press the higher heat may ruin that feature. If you have a removable lint trap and you use dryer sheets, I would suggest removing it and washing it with dishwashing liquid and a brush every month or so. The screen tends to become coated with a film that inhibits airflow. Run some water on it first. If it runs off of the screen rather than through it that is the case.

Not good. You need your clothes to dry quickly otherwise they can end up smelling rank. Make sure you spin them at the highest setting and hang them up somewhere warm, prefereably outside, if you don't have a tumble dryer. 

Depends on what is a "long time." My dryer takes 30 to 35 minutes per load, medium temp for cottons and synthetics, hot for towels and heavy cottons. Maybe make your loads lighter.

Use a higher spin if your washing machine has that as an option.