Is it grammatically correct (If I catch you cheating, I will fail you.)?

Yes, the sentence is correct in every respect.

A lot of people replying seem unfamiliar with the use of 'fail' in this context.Clearly the speaker is a teacher or an examiner, talking to a student who is about to take an exam.The teacher is threatening the student, saying, "If I find that you are cheating during the exam, I will give you such a low mark that you will fail the exam".

PS When asking this kind of question in future, please use quotation marks, like this:"If I catch you cheating, I will fail you." Is this grammatically correct?

How about, "If you are caught cheating, you will fail"?

• Joe

Sounds like you already failed her.

It is correct, but it sounds awkward. You should say if I catch you cheating, I need to leave you, no matter what.

• bluebellbkk
      2 weeks agoReport

No, that's not what it means. This is clearly a teacher or examiner speaking to a student who is about to take an exam.

No, you mean to say "If I catch you cheating, I will give you a failing grade." The teacher hasn't failed the student just because the student chose to cheat; instead the student failed herself because she chose to cheat.

It's grammatically correct. 

Your sentence within parentheses is grammatically correct.

• Zirp

it's wrong semantically. People don' t fail on purpose

Using parentheses instead of quotation-marks is wrong too

• bluebellbkk
      2 weeks agoReport

Zirp, this is a common use of 'fail' as a transitive verb. 'The teacher failed me just because all my answers were wrong!'

• MS

It's better to say, "I will fail you if I catch you cheating."  

yes, that's correct usage