Is it grammatically correct (If I catch you cheating, I will fail you.)?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

Yes, the sentence is correct in every respect.

A lot of people replying seem unfamiliar with the use of 'fail' in this context.Clearly the speaker is a teacher or an examiner, talking to a student who is about to take an exam.The teacher is threatening the student, saying, "If I find that you are cheating during the exam, I will give you such a low mark that you will fail the exam".

PS When asking this kind of question in future, please use quotation marks, like this:"If I catch you cheating, I will fail you." Is this grammatically correct?

• 2 weeks ago

How about, "If you are caught cheating, you will fail"?

• Joe
    Lv 5
    2 weeks ago

Sounds like you already failed her.

• 2 weeks ago

It is correct, but it sounds awkward. You should say if I catch you cheating, I need to leave you, no matter what.

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      2 weeks agoReport

No, that's not what it means. This is clearly a teacher or examiner speaking to a student who is about to take an exam.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

No, you mean to say "If I catch you cheating, I will give you a failing grade." The teacher hasn't failed the student just because the student chose to cheat; instead the student failed herself because she chose to cheat.

• 2 weeks ago

It's grammatically correct. 

• 2 weeks ago

Your sentence within parentheses is grammatically correct.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

it's wrong semantically. People don' t fail on purpose

Using parentheses instead of quotation-marks is wrong too

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      2 weeks agoReport

Zirp, this is a common use of 'fail' as a transitive verb. 'The teacher failed me just because all my answers were wrong!'

• MS
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

It's better to say, "I will fail you if I catch you cheating."  

• 2 weeks ago

yes, that's correct usage

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.