billy asked in PetsDogs · 3 weeks ago

Dog eats poop?

I have a 8 year old border collie that likes to eat poop rabbit poop

Looking for that best advice to try an have this stoped 

Both of my poodle dogs used to eat their own poop when they were younger, but they now understand not to, anymore.

Dogs sometimes eat poop out of boredom, for attention, to avoid punishment, or due to health issues.

• patty

just hope the poo has no disease

You don’t??.............weird  

Your dog is a Border Collie... And you wonder why......Oh dear me!

For you have a misogyny expert until it´s needs  and breed requirements are met correctly.....

The answer is that the dog is bored out of its skull and badly needs something other to do.-.

( like a job of work )

People like you astound me you buy an energetic working breed without any inclination of their needs and wonder why you encounter such problems..... You needed to train the dog to a job of work  yrs since or  to have found another way to occupy it such as flyball etc  to cater for its ,mental needs  and physical requirements and to  tire it out.....

Just a simple ole Shepherd his Dogs & Ewes

1 - Pick up after the rabbit;

2 - Supervise the dog;

3 - Keep the dog and the rabbit separate.

One of my friends from college had a dog that would run into the laundry room, fish for cat turds in the litter box, eat them and run away. It's what dogs do. Trying to stop that kind of behavior will be fruitless.

• Maxi

The easiest way is a well fitting basket muzzle, that way it can't eat it and that means you can then teach the 'leave' command when it tries to........ no point in saying leave it if can still eat it as dogs are oppoirtunists, that is they take the opportunity as and when they can and self praise, so trying to stop it if it can still self praise ( eat the rabbit poop) is useless training

If the dog is that old, probably the simplest solution is to block it's access to it. Since you give no idea of the condition in which the rabbit is kept, I'm going to assume it is in a hutch. If that is the case put something around the base so the dog can't get at it.

• paul

easy answer clean up the rabbit poop so the dog can not eat it . daaaaaaaaaaaaaa