can my contracts be pulled from me with only verbal notice ?

I work as a subcontractor for the last nine years delivering newspapers. yesterday my contracts were pulled and contracted to someone else. the reason they gave me was that I missed some houses. I informed them last week that starting in December I'm going to be taking 3 months off for knee surgery. I had a replacement lined up. I believe I was fired because I got hurt. 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • ricky
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Contractors don’t get fired. Their contract isn’t renewed. You are not an employee.

• 3 weeks ago

What does your contract say?

• 3 weeks ago

Yes, they can verbally notify you. It doesn't have to be in writing.

• 3 weeks ago

This is impossible to answer without knowing the content of your contract. Unless the contract specifically address what happens if you are disabled they might be irrelevant in this application. Otherwise if you can't do the work then YOU are probably breaching the contract. That being said, normally a written contract cannot be changed verbally.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Is "subcontracting" the politically correct term for "I deliver newspapers?"  Read your contract.

• 3 weeks ago

Read your contract! What are the requirements to terminate that contract? E.g. written notice/verbal notice, grounds for termination by either party, etc. If written notice is required, check your mail - they may have given you a verbal "head's up" about a written notice. If, after reading carefully, you believe contract termination requirements have not been met, or there's no reason to let you go but, perhaps, your 3-month surgical recuperation, then see an attorney.

• 3 weeks ago

What did your contract state with regards ending -- reasons for ending it , and any notice period ?

• paul
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

I had a replacement lined up, LMFAO

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.