Is prosperity gospel wrong?

NO, its actually part of the promise as found in the book of Dueteronomy 29-30

Give everything away .

YES!!!! Jesus Christ died poor.

'Gospel' is wrong.

'Prosperity Gospel' is just grifters duping believers into giving them their money and then putting themselves into financially untenable situations to make it look like they are 'successful'.

• sarah

Jesus was very poor and so was his family. He said he had no where to lay down his head. They are scam artists who pray on people.

(Matthew 25:34-40) 34 “Then the King will say to those on his right: ‘Come, you who have been blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the founding of the world. 35 For I became hungry and you gave me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink. I was a stranger and you received me hospitably; 36 naked and you clothed me. I fell sick and you looked after me. I was in prison and you visited me.’ 37 Then the righteous ones will answer him with the words: ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and receive you hospitably, or naked and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40 In reply the King will say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’

The prosperity gospel us as wrong as the poverty gospel.

• Wundt

If there is one consistent theme of the Bible it is that wealth is not the path to salvation.  The Prosperity Doctrine is clearly a twisting of the Bible by church leaders to encourage their followers to tithe more and to justify their own opulent lifestyles.

What the Prosperity Doctrine demonstrates is how it is far too easy to interpret the Bible and Christian doctrine to support whatever you want it to say.  The Bible has been used to justify both slavery and emancipation, both racism and tolerance, both material wealth and austerity, both war and peace, both the death penalty and leniency, etc.

I wouldn't call it wrong so much as adolescent.

According to Acts 8:9-24 it is.  Recall also that when Jesus was instructing his Apostle for the preaching work he told them you received free, give free (Matt 10:8)  See also Hebrews 13:5 and 1 Timothy 6:10

• Ala

Why do you even ask? 

Yes, I once belonged to a church that demanded tithing money even when we were struggling on limited income to raise three children. They used that very verse as an excuse why we had to pay it. 

Now I refuse to go to any tithing churches. Tithing is an Old Testament law, fulfilled by the sacrifice of Christ. It is not meant for our times. Pastors who demand it are part of the Prosperity Gospel.

• canadacraig
      3 weeks agoReport

Giving freely is OK though! But yes... you're right.