Gas stove burner got wet, won’t light and ignition not even clicking?

I was cooking potatoes and some water overflowed and 

got into the gas burner on my stove, putting out the flame. I let it dry overnight but it still won’t light. I can hear gas hissing, but no flame. The other burner on the same side of the stove is the same, but the two burners on the other side are fine, as is the oven. There is no clicking on either side, including the burners that work. What could be wrong and how can I fix it?

I’ve attached a photo of the burners that aren’t working to give some idea of the kind of stove I’m using.

Attachment image

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Byrd
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

    Take it apart and clean and dry it

  • 2 weeks ago

    The most important part of this is the "No Spark"  Even though this is a gas stove, the spark is created by an electric igniter.

    A) make sure the sparking unit is clean, with room to spark.  (Not touching the burner. If it's touching there will be no spark.) 

    B) check your Breaker box for a tripped breaker.  If the breaker to the igniter has tripped, there will be no spark.  (A quick check: see if the light turns on in the oven.  The oven light is on the same circuit as the igniter.) 

  • y
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

    light it manually, it will dry it out.

  • 2 weeks ago

    Generally, in a situation like this, in all the excitement you have knocked something out of kilter. Take the removables for the 2 burners out, wash them up and reset things in place.  It probably has something to do with getting the right fuel-air mixture to burn.  You might have potato juice on the spark-flame igniter. See if you are getting a spark. If not, why not?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.