What do you think about Kurt Vonnegut?

Favorite Answer

All the rage when I was at college (during 'Nam). Most memorable for Slaughterhouse Five, a bizarre take on the bombing of Dresden.

Kurt Vonnegut has written some of the best American fiction of the past 80 years. He can be very funny.

I think he was a wonderfully talented writer who, occasionally, could be something of a snot.

One of the most entertaining and thought provoking satirical writers. Totally fun to read. 

That he was a very good writer :-)

• Andrew

I like his work. He certainly wasn't a genius of the first order like Herman Melville or Cormac McCarthy, and I have never found him to be even remotely as exciting as authors like Jack London or Ernest Hemingway, but he certainly had a distinct voice, which is more than can be said of a lot of other writers. He wasn't a flowery prose stylist or a master craftsman, but I've enjoyed more than a few of his books. His simple, no-frills approach, his well-crafted characters, his penchant for humour, all of these things really enabled him to elevate some of his work above authors that were obviously capable of writing at a much higher level. Everybody always raves about "Slaughterhouse-Five", and it's a wonderful book, but I think some of his short stories are quite good as well, and he's got a few more very enjoyable novels to his credit too. I remember liking "Bluebeard" a lot. He was quite a quotable fellow and I've read some pretty witty quips credited to him. He's not my favourite, but I have a pretty favorable opinion of him overall.