Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 3 weeks ago

Can the police track an unlocked iPhone that you use to make prank calls with if you swap out and put a new sim in ?

So I use an unlocked old iPhone 7 to make prank calls to people. I often purge the sim card and buy a new tracfone sim and get a new number. The sim only costs a dollar at best buy. I've been doing this for quite a while and I've always wondered if they can track down my phone if it is unlocked and I swap sims regularly. Can they track or trace an unlocked iPhone if I purge my sims card regularly and replace with new ones ?

• 1 week ago

Unlock your phone from https://geeksim.com

• Tavy

Yes, I worked for  a UK phone company. They can track the IMEI number, it's embedded  in the phone.

The "you can't trace a burner phone" is a myth.

• Satan

You mean, can they track you through the IMEI number? Yeah.

The network operator will use your SIM card number and also IMEI number as a valid identifier to your phone to differentiate from other connected phones. It's not difficult to realise that you can then backtrack through the IMEI to find out where the phone is when its connected to a network

Police do not track down prank callers, the only time they would track some one down is if some ones life were in danger or if you were stupid enough to prank call the police 

• Jeffrey3 weeks agoReport

If you do things that cause 911 to respond to fake emergencies, yes you will eventually get in a lot of trouble.  The phone has a serial number that you can't change.