Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 weeks ago

What do you want to see more of in YA lit? ?

I’m interested in what themes, tropes, archetypes, settings,

plot points, and choices people want more of.

For me, I think I want more books that are just really good for escapism (detailed other worlds) and themes that are more centered on universal human anxieties (like loneliness or heartbreak or loss of a friend) rather than super topical themes. But what about you? 

I don't really read YA as much anymore, but I read it for nearly a decade, and here are things I would've liked to have seen:

- More non-heteronormative romances, or even just books without romance whatsoever.

- Somewhat related to the previous point, but more books without love triangles

- More books tackling disabled and mentally ill main characters, but done so in a RESPECTFUL way

- Worldbuilding that makes more sense (looking at you, Divergent)

• Andrew

I don't read young adult fiction, so it doesn't really matter to me, but I think the genre is ripe for a shift away from the vapid, vacuous, shallow, superficial, one-dimensional characters, the hollow love stories, the cheesy dystopian settings, and the silly supernatural elements that have come to define it. Young people need strong characters who drive compelling stories that have meaning. And they're not getting that these days at all.