Is my employer obligated to modify my work hours if I care for my spouse who is an active duty military?

I live in California and my spouse is active duty military. My spouse recently has been diagnosed with epilepsy and due to military doctors order my spouse can not be alone at home. I asked my employer to not schedule me for night shifts since I cant leave my spouse alone and my employer refused. Is there anything I can do or should I suck it up and work any hours they give me?

Nope. If the military diagnosed the condition and put the restriction that they can not be home alone then the military needs to provide in home care. Or admit them to a hospital.

No.  Your employer can set your work hours.  While you can ask for them to be changed, if they will not do it, you have no recourse.  Work their hours, or, quit.

of course not, silly question

• Jason

If you're a civilian, you can file for FMLA protection. Your employer is required to give you up to 12 weeks of time to care for a family member with a chronic illness or disability. They don't have to pay you for that time but they have to give you the time away. If you can negotiate a better schedule with them, great, but under FMLA they are only required to give you the time away, not change your shift.

He would be covered under the Family Medical Leave

Act, that would mention the need for this type of care. Read about it, and your rights in the workplace.

• Mrsjvb

no, they are not required to modify your schedule.   you can take leave under FMLA.   

they can also require your spouse to move into barracks or become an inpatient.

or you do what every other military spouse does and call upon your fellow spouses to help.  I am quite sure that you can find people willing to keep him company for a few hours and most commands would be able and willing to do so as well.  

• Squid

Anyone on active duty who medically cannot be left alone will be checked into the military hospital or barracks.  Your spouse is voluntarily choosing to stay at home instead.  Since an option was provided and declined, you have no claim against your employer or anyone else.

• You obviously don't know anything about the military laws. Nobody gets admitted to a hospital for seizure that may or may not happen ( I work at the navy hospital ) Also barracks are for low ranking military personnel 

There is nothing you can do your employer has the right to say no. You might want to start looking for a job where you can work around your husband.

Leave is one thing, but why would they be required to modify the shifts you work? Lots of people have relatives that can't be left alone. I have a two year old and a three year old, myself.

They can't flip your schedule to days without changing someone else's schedule involuntarily to nights. What you're asking for is not a reasonable accommodation. Call a friend, a relative, or hire a care-giver like everyone else does ...or look for a job that has your preferred schedule available.

• Lisa A

You can use the FMLA if you qualify. That is how you get your employer to accommodate you for family medical issues.