Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 3 weeks ago

What is reading?

If you read not a physical book rather a computer or tablet or phone is that considered reading? maybe u are reading a news website etc?

Reading is scanning written words and comprehending them

Yes, of course that is reading. It was "reading" before printing was invented when people read manuscripts; it is "reading" when people read words printed by machines on paper, and it is "reading" when people read words on a screen.

• Zac Z

Of course, reading off a computer, tablet, phone, or even letters "painted" into the sky by a plane (if you know what I mean) is reading.

Personally, I make a difference between reading fiction for enjoyment and, say, reading a news article but that's because the content and purpose is very different.

But they are all reading in the sense that my eyes process written words.

Actually, the moment I typed "my eyes" I realized that this is also too narrow a view as one must probably include reading Braille with one's fingertips (as some, probably mostly blind people do) in the definition of reading. (It's just that I am not capable of doing that.)

I would not however include "reading" body language into the definition of reading since "read" a person is a very different thing that read a text.

• Cogito

In the simplest sense, 'reading' is just interpreting the written word visually.

But that could mean any written words at all - you can read the label on a packet of cornflakes.  And yes, that covers the news or scientific articles as well.

But when people say, "I love reading," what they mean is books although that could be hard-back or soft-back books, Kindles, or any device.

If someone is described as "well-read" it means novels, non-fiction, biographies, etc, via any means.

Reading can be read from any souces that the languages bein written on.

Everything I read is ironic, just like your existence.