Could I have tetanus?

I stepped on an earring the other day and it penetrated my foot, I took it out the earring didnt look rusty. I went and cleaned the wound with soap and water. Well a day after that I wasn't able to walk without limping cause my foot hurt, then my calf started hurting. Now my shoulder neck and jaw hurts but I don't know if it could be related. My throats been hurting too and it feels like I can't swallow right. I'm freaking out. Please help me. I don't know the last time I had a tetanus shot but I dont have enough money to go get one.

• Edna
    5 days ago

Tetanus isn't caused by rust. The tetanus bacteria lives in contaminated soil. Tetanus is found on rusty metal objects that have been covered for years in  contaminated soil. The pain you're feeling in your foot is being caused by having your foot punctured by the sharp post on the back of the ear ring. 

A tetanus shot is effective for 10 years after you take one. If, at any time during the last 10 years, you've ever had to see a doctor for a cut, a dog bite, minor surgery, etc., you were probably given a tetanus booster then as a routine matter of course. 

None of your "symptoms" are signs of tetanus. Symptoms of tetanus appear a few days after the bacteria enter the body. Physical symptoms are:  

Painful muscle contractions and stiffness, particularly in the jaw and neck; Jerking or staring, which are signs of seizures; Difficulty opening the mouth and swallowing; Stiffness in the abdomen; Painful body spasms which last for several minutes, triggered by minor things such as a loud noise, light or touch;  Fever; Excessive sweating; and Increased heart rate and blood pressure.

• Linda

See a doc asap or go to the ER. What is more important, your health or lack of insurance? That sounds serious.

• Aa

See a doctor or go to the emergency room. Even if you don't have money, the emergency room is required by law (assuming you are in the United States) to treat you.

• Joe

Tetanus bacteria grows in moist soil, when contaminated by animal waste.  Unless your earring was lying in a cow pasture, you don't have Tetanus.

You may have some other kind of infection from this injury.  Look at the wound site.  If you see significant red or yellow lines spreading away from the wound, you've got a problem, and need to seek medical attention.

Tetanus does not happen that quickly. The shots last 10 years but you should probably get a tetanus shot anyway.

See a doctor or go to A&E.

Hsopital emergency room now.