What to do about HR concern?

I've worked for my company for nearly 7 years. A portion of my job involves collaborating with employees on software developments and occasional remote work on off hours and weekends. My colleagues do the same.

I discovered I was a subject of a complaint that I was not logged into my computer for a certain number of hours. I thought this was bizarre, since I have meetings and/or collaborative efforts which cause me to lock my computer and walk away. I also check in with my lead on a daily basis to discuss expectations and turnover. We also do a lot of cross-training as well.

I've never had any performance complaints, and my management is fully aware of my work schedule. I am just afraid that this is becoming a witch hunt, particularly when we have people that smoke for hours on end per day! 

Has anyone had this happen? Anything I can do?

• Eva

Document the time, what you're doing and with whom when you are signed off your computer.

u should have a meting with HR and explain what u wrote here and present with a written schedule of your day where u explain what have u been doing and why your compute wasn't logged on 

• Jolie
      2 weeks agoReport

Thanks. In some cases, I was sitting with my lead doing cross training or other tasks, so I would lock my computer. Also got called into some impromptu meetings that were not on my calendar.

Why would it become a witch hunt??  You simply tell your side of the story.  Unless you're not telling the whole story here??  And you really do have something to hide??

• Jolie
      2 weeks agoReport

They have asked other people about their hours as well.

All sorts of crap goes on in business.  Some right, some wrong, some fair, some unfair, some true, some lies.  There isn't anything you can do about it except have an investigation and fire the employees conducting themselves wrongly.  Since it is your company, you haven't anything to worry about.  They can complain all they want - it won't amount to anything.