What is the process of getting a drivers license in PA? ?

I am 20 years old, and don't have a drivers license.   I live in Pennsylvania.   I've been making plans with people to go get it since I was 16, but each time I was met with "Oh, I forgot about it" or "Oh, I made other plans."   

To the best of my knowledge, the process is I go to the DMV and take a knowledge and vision test to get a driving permit, then go back to the DMV the next day and get the full license.   As far as I know, I would not need to take a driving test.   

I would need to take my birth certificate, social security card, and proof of residency (two pieces of mail).   

Is the process different, do I need to bring something else too, or is that all correct?   

Just go to the following link, open and read it and you will then know what to do.

https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Driver-Services/Driver-Lice...

You're asking the whole world this question?

Why don't you visit your nearby DMV, or whatever it might be called in PA.

Maybe they answer their phone.  You could call them first.  You need governmental issued identification plus maybe additional identification.

People who don't get a driver's license at 16 should at least get the state ID card.  A birth certificate is no good for most identification requirements, because it does not have a recent photograph and a current home address.

So you are an adult for 2 years without any usable identification.

Good luck.

• Edna

You will HAVE to take the Driving Test (after you pass the Vision & Written Tests) before you'll be issued a driver's license. The Driving Test is mandatory in every state. 

No, the process isn't different for you.  It's the same for everybody.

The state of Pennsylvania does have a DMV website.....use it.

• May

Why are you depending on "others" to get you a license?  Why can't you take control of your own life?

Simply go to a PA DMV office and begin the process.

Read the PA driver's manual. It contains everything you need to know. 

https://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DVSPubsForms/BD...

Google PA DMV how to get a driver's license.

frankly, if you can't research this yourself, you will never pass the tests.

i highly doubt the NEXT day you get the license. You need time to practice drive after you get the permit before you take the test.

It may be weeks or months before an appointment is available.

You likely need more ID that that to get a secure ID.

all of his is available on the DMV website..

if you can afford it, hire a driving school.

if you have a disability and need a license to get to work, the state vocational rehab office may help you.

• Edna
      3 weeks agoReport

If an applicant is over the age of 18, passing the Written Test becomes his "permit" to take the Driving Test, but no written "permit" is issued. In theory, he'll be allowed to take the Driving Test the same day or the next day; but in practice, he'll probably have to make an appointment to do so.