With larger banks like Capital One trying out the idea of informal banking through a café experience, are traditional banks in danger?

I'm from a small town,and all the banks within driving distance to me are what you might think of as 'traditional' banks, business formal dressed tellers, traditional office space where a person would go to talk to a loan officer who is wearing a business or power suit,and you'd probably do well to dress up yourself before going in for a loan. With the newer approach towards informality being brought to bear by the larger banks, will the smaller town banks follow suit?

Banks have been trying informal approaches for decades. They do not work. In a survey done by Chase, it was discovered that most customers do not like the informality, and are reluctant to put there money there

No, its a nothing. ING Direct started it and sold out to capital one, which screws up everything they touch. It was never a great idea to begin with.

But, going forward, online banks & credit unions will continue to pressure local banks. I think there will be branch closures over the next 5-10+ years because of it as more & more people realize they do not need a local brick & mortar bank.

The cafe's are only in heavily populated areas and its more advertising than actual banking.

I doubt it. Washington Mutual tried something like this years ago. Eventually, the FDIC had to step in. They were taken over by Chase, a much more traditional bank.

All I want is a drive thru atm. Made the mistake of going inside a Chase bank to pay my property taxes and they corral the customers into a cubicle and try to sell you a mortgage or a money market fund.