Why do most of the short stories in Sherlock Holmes examine the problem of greed? What is the author trying to say about the society?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

he hates all of us because we all contradict society and are little pieces of **** who jsut all want to be happy succesful millionaires and have fast money and fly cars yet we are all greedy as **** because we onl ylive thorugh our perspecrtive i love getting bitches and fly cars so ghood he miht be on to sum g reeal **** homie no bap no cap complet ebklatt

• Marli
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

I doubt Conan Doyle was saying anything profound about his world in the Sherlock Holmes stories.  He wrote them because they provided an income.  He liked adventure stories and he thought most of the crime and detective stories suffered from too many co-incidences and acts of God/Fate and too little rational sleuthing.  Dr. Joseph Bell's method of diagnosis was right for a detective, so he created Holmes to prove it.  The works he considered "higher things" were his historical novels and his writing about Spiritualism.

"Our Society is Corrupt and Greedy" was a given, because most people in every century thinks that about their society. Greed leads to crime, whether it's a jewel stolen, a person blackmailed, state secrets taken or persons murdered for money or for their secrets.

Several of the crimes in the stories were against women.  The fathers in "Copper Beaches", "Specked Band" and the case of Miss Mary Sutherland's disappeared fiance were guilty of harming their daughters and step-daughters for their legacies.

• 3 weeks ago

I'm doubtful he's trying to make any hidden point.  His character solves crimes.  Without a motivating factor - greed, money, jealousy, his master crime solver doesn't really have anything to do does he??  

• Zac Z
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Your questions sound an awful lot like they were phrased by your teacher. Am I right?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Tina
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Seriously, people who write fiction are usually primarily trying to entertain their readers, not to say anything about society.

• 3 weeks ago

He's not "trying" to say anything. Perhaps you just don't understand what he's saying.

• Andrew
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Arthur Conan Doyle wrote about a fictional detective. Detectives solve cases. Nearly all of the cases detectives investigate involve some illegal act being committed. Greed is a very common motive for the commission of crimes. What does the local police blotter or the nightly news say about society? I realise that you opened this account 45 minutes ago and bestowed a user name upon yourself that would honour what you carry around betwixt your ears, but this is too much. One would have to be dumber than dirt not to be able to answer this question. 

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

The author isn't "trying" to say anything. He was a very good and professional author, and he said what he wanted to say. There is no "try."

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.