Is it hard to install a gas and water hookup for a laundry unit?

I want to turn my closet into a small laundry area. Since my wife has mobility issues and get into the basement easily. I don’t know anything about installing things like that and I’m not very handy. Does anyone have any good DIY tips for me to install a hookup

Favorite Answer

Gas is not DIY.   So toss that idea out of your head. And I AM handy.  However and electric hookup is the way to go. Again you need an electrician to see if a 240V run can be put in from the breaker box.  Then again too, you kind of need to know the dryer you are getting.  I have a 120V dryer (which as far as I know does not heat worth a dam) so I got to take apart and see why. It should put out some heat.

It is a small apartment size stackable unit. for a closet.  So you kind of got to know what will fit in there .  Dryers are fairly large and washers same size...so how big is closet?Might be cheaper to turn closet space into an elevator so she can ride down?  That too is possible and you need the electrician.

• zman
      2 weeks agoReport

If you are getting NO heat from your dryer, could be the element is burned out.  Happened to me.  But they are fairly easy to replace, and fairly cheap on ebay.  Since I replaced it, i started running on medium heat, and it's lasting a lot longer than the first one so far.

• Tj

Cal a plumber......

For a qualified plumber, the only potentially difficult part is routing the lines to the location.

For most people, attempting to install gas lines is a good way to blow yourself up.

Not, I will try plumbing water lines myself, but I won't even turn on a gas line after qualified tech tells me it is safe.

• drip

In my area you can not install a gas line for the dryer yourself. A qualified plumber must do it. This is not a DYI project. 

• Nuff Sed
      6 days agoReport

For the record, not all plumbers are qualified gas-fitters. In my area it needs a particular license. Oddly, however, you can legally do gas fitting in your own single-family residence without any license.

• John

I'll echo what was said by another.  Plumbing and gas has it's own issues of knowing what to do and how.  If you don't have a drain line nearby and accessible it will be a huge undertaking if not impossible. Water and gas are pressurized pipes and can run up or down.  The drain is gravity and requires very certain constraints to be met.

You're not installing a hookup.   You are going to have to plumb a drain line, plumb water intake, install gas line, electrical, etc. and then everything is going to have to be put back together again (drywall, mud, tape, texture, paint).  You're also going to need permits which will add to the cost. 

I don't disagree with Earleen's estimate of 20k at least in my neck of the woods.   I don't think it should take four months though.   That being said, a contractor is likely to hire at least three subcontractors...electrician, plumber and gas technician and there will be gaps between each and also time for the county to inspect and sign off on each phase.

This is not a beginner DIY project. 

It would be very foolish for you to do this yourself, you could cause a major hazard.

If this is a rental, it is also likely against your lease.

• y

You do not DIY gas, hell. I went to school and gas was part of it, i worked on gas units at different times, I still don't mess with running gas and such. You hire a guy with a license and have all correct permits pulled and inspected.

As far as how difficult it is to run gas lines and or water and electrical. It all comes down to where they have to run them from and such, where they can connect drain line and dampers and such. You, not being handy, not knowing about such things, wold be better off finding a friend who is or hiring someone. It is not a beginner job.

do NOT install a gas hookup yourself. This needs to be done by a professional for safety reasons. And, unless you have experience brazing water piping, I suggest hiring that done by a licensed plumber as well. You can't afford to have a leak because your brazing [soldering] wasn't top notch.

Source(s): grampa -- i've had a water leak from poor workmanship ... ruined the Pergo floor in next room, costing thousands to replace the floor.

That all depends on whether or not you have existing gas and water nearby that you can piggyback off of .

Not to ask the obvious but have you considered a drain line ? That's usually more of an issue than water or gas supply .