Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 3 weeks ago

How come some people can be conscience after receiving a gunshot wound to the head?

I'm not talking about a gun shot wound where the bullet scrapes the person skull, I'm talking a bullet that actually penetrates the brain. Some people can be conscious for awhile until they die.

Favorite Answer

I've heard several stories of people shot in the head who didn't even die.  The one that springs to mind was a guy shot from behind in WWI, and the bullet exited through one of his eye sockets.  He lived a regular life! (Though he probably couldn't enjoy 3D movies. 8^< )

Apparently you can do some serious damage to some parts of the brain and it won't kill you.  The brain is still quite mysterious.  I've been told that a gunshot wound causes a huge pressure spike in the brain and that's what kills people, not the bullet.  If the bullet was shot from far enough away (like in a battlefield situation) the bullet might just drill a nice clean hole through the brain and not damage the surrounding tissue.

That is usually due to the fact that the bullet didn't hit a vital part of the brain. Some people don't die from a bullet to the head, they just live with severe mental trauma and/or paralysis