Be honest: Are Air Fryers Worth it for Oilless French Fries?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 week ago

You have a perfect one in your home right now~ it is called an OVEN. Why spend out money on something like that when you can use the oven and have the exact same result? People waste too much money on single-purpose appliances.

• 3 weeks ago

Nope not at all hahahhazaaaaa

• 3 weeks ago

You still use a bit of oil, just less oil than if you were deep frying them. As such it is somewhat healthier than deep fried stuff. You're still eating a good dose of starch though so... moderation in all things?

That said, the most use I've gotten out of my air fryer is cooking anything frozen, since it's essentially just a tabletop convection oven, it does things like frozen fries or other things very well.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

yes they do a lot

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • R B
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

Fry them in a healthy oil like butter or avocado oil and they’ll be tastier and healthier and you’ll save the cost of an air fryer

• Air fries, air popcorn, air this, air that, maybe healthier than...

• patty
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

u can cook other stuff as welll

• Dimo
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

In 1967 I was deployed to Greece.  They use the cheap oil they have -- olive oil.  French potatoes fried in olive oil are fabulous.  The oil you use matter.  Losing the oil also loses the flavor.   Hence, an air fryer is not worth it.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

OMG yes.   

The fries aren't oilless.   They just aren't deep fried so they have way less oil.

You can go to McD's and buy fries for $3 or you can buy a ten pound bag of potatoes for $3 and eat fries until you can eat no more.

That being said, it does take a bit of time to make a proper fry at home.

Here is how I do it:

Peel the potatoes and cut them into fries.   Put them in a container of salted water for a couple hours.  This removes the excess starch.  Drain in a colander.  Parboil fries (boil a pan of water, put in fries, when it comes to a boil again, drain in colander).    Drizzle a little canola (or olive or whatever) oil over the fries and add some salt.   Toss with your hands.   Put them in the air fryer basket and there you go.   Give 'em a shake every few minutes while they fry.

Best.  Fries.  Ever. 

I often prep the fries the day before.   They can live in the salt water in  the fridge for a day or two.

Want to talk about chicken wings now?

• 3 weeks ago

The potatoes become dry.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.