Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 3 weeks ago

Is it ok to write a Chinese webnovel even if you’re not Chinese?

I’ve recently gotten into Chinese webnovels, especially cultivation novels, and I had the idea to maybe create my own but I’m a worried that it might be a insensitive because I’m not Chinese?

I’ve been researching Chinese history and culture and even idioms for dialogue for my world building so I’m more than happy to put the work in and make sure everything is as authentic as possible but the whole thing just makes me anxious. Plus I’ve tried looking this problem up but the closest thing I could find was about people writing manga in a non-Japanese setting so... not helpful at all considering it’s a different medium and country. I guess what I’m most scared of is being accused of cultural appropriation.

Can anyone help me out with this dilemma?

It is ok with me. Go ahead.

• Zirp

I'm not sure what your problem is. Nobody is going to stop you from writing a novel, or from doing it in Chinese.

What is "a world building" anyway?