Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 3 weeks ago

Should I ask for my story back from this publisher?

Last year I submitted a story to an independent press publisher in response to a submission call for a themed anthology.

He accepted it, but said the anthology would not be published until all the slots in the anthology were filled.

It's been about a year now. I sent him an email about 4 months ago asking about the progress and he just said there was still no timeframe.

If you were me, would you just ask him to withdraw the story and look for another publisher?

I would not "ask." First, I'd read my contract, if any, to see how long after acceptance the publication holds the rights. If there's no contract, then you're golden.

You write a letter and send it certified mail, return receipt requested (which can be used to prove he received it, if necessary). In the letter you politely say that in light of the length of time he's held the story without publishing, you are withdrawing your story from consideration. You wish him the best success with this endeavor, and are perfectly civil.

Publishing is a business, not a family, not a group of friends. He's treated you poorly and unless you contract says otherwise, you don't have to accept it.

If it hasn't been published yet, you're still free to submit it, just explain this to the new potential publisher.

You can certainly ask.  They may direct you to the fine print that they don't return submitted manuscripts.