baby asked in PetsHorses · 3 weeks ago

opinion on horses?

they wanna act kind but i don’t trust them. too tall, stop it  

answer me 

1 week ago

When people like you say you don't trust horses, usually it is because of one of two reasons: Either you are a complete beginner who knows nothing about them and is scared for that reason, OR the more likely explanation is that you've had some sort of bad or negative experience with a horse and have been scared because of it.

Whatever the case may be, I will tell you that I love horses and always will. I've been an owner since I was in my teens. No, Anonymous, my parents weren't wealthy. In fact, they weren't even horse people, so you can take your "rich daddy" theory and stick it out your ear. I spent over twenty years in the sport horse industry as a professional, and held a long list of jobs during that time. The only reason I ended up leaving the industry, in fact, was because I needed a job that would let me save for retirement. If that hadn't been true, I'd still be a horse professional.

I currently live on a relative's farm. We have 5 horses at the moment- 4 of our own and a single boarder. The horses live outside year round, and only come in to eat, work, get their teeth, feet, shots, and worming done, and once in a while to see the vet. Mucking out is something we only do on the rare occasions during the winter when the horses must come inside overnight because of the cold, the weather, or both. And even when this is the case, they are always out again the next day. We never blanket anybody if we can help it, because nature meant horses to grow a winter coat for a REASON, and we respect that where I live. People put blankets on horses to make THEMSELVES feel better, not because it necessarily benefits the horse, which it doesn't. The only time blankets ever make sense is if a horse has been partially or fully body clipped, and is in heavy training and work during the winter. None of our guys and gals are in that category, nor will they ever be.

Our little herd has a shed they can go to in order to escape the rain and snow, and we use a stock tank heater to keep the water trough open. We feed them lots of hay, and they get grain and soaked beet pulp twice a day as well. Feeding takes about 20 minutes each meal, sometimes more if someone dawdles over his or her food.Then the horses are out again to eat their hay, and that's that. And what we've found is that the horses are far healthier than they would be if they were confined in stalls 24/7. Our incidence of colic and digestive upsets is ZERO, and has been so for YEARS. Yes, we have lost horses over the years I've lived there- but most of the losses were age related, or were caused by problems other than colic. We've never had a horse founder on us, not ever. And we don't insure the horses, although we probably should. They're not that valuable, at least in monetary terms.Most of their "value" lies in the companionship and fun that they give us. Our farrier comes every 8 weeks or so, and our horses are only shod during the competition season in the spring, summer, and fall. At this time of year, they are or will soon be barefoot for the winter- it's healthier and safer for them not to have shoes on when there is snow and ice underfoot. Once the ground freezes (which will happen shortly) then they aren't going to be working anyway. Our vet bills are minimal, because we do most of the routine care ourselves. The state I live in is one that permits lay persons and professionals to administer vaccines, wormer, and most other routine medications to horses, and we do our own shots and wormer as a cost cutting measure. And we haven't had many issues with injuries, because our horses get along well together.

As for my "opinion" on horses, I will tell you that they are the most beautiful animals I know. They are my therapy, my hobby, my sport, and for many years, they were my profession as well. My involvement with horses and horse sports has saved my life and my sanity more times than I can count or remember. Horses didn't "take over my life" as you put it, Anonymous. I have a life outside of horses too, and I live it.

I have a horse, and we both love each-other. You just have to develop trust with them, that's all. Once you have a good relationship with a horse, you two will be inseperable.

They must suffer from depression because they all have long faces. 

• Jack H

I don't trust anything with teeth bigger than mine...

• BOBBER

I have been around horses for 50+ years. Thirty of those years as a farrier/roped. And horse lover and owner the whole time. Granted they are big and tall. They deserve respect and can hurt you if you don't watch what you are doing. Yet at the same time they are a very beautiful and loving smart animals. They say that the outside of a horse is made for the inside of a man of women.

Going to refine this answer because the responses read like they are from stupid children -  I don't understand people who keep horses, or why? I will never understand.  It is a massive commitment without a decent payoff. Owners have to get up early every SINGLE morning before their regular jobs and muck them out, check them over, feed them. They are always getting ill and sustaining injuries, they cost an absolute fortune in veterinary bills, everything from arthritis to laminitis. They cost a lot to insure too and they need shoeing every six weeks, plus all the tack and equestrian property / field maintenance at additional cost. They can often become ill beyond saving after any insurance runs out, which is heartbreaking. The payoff of spending a few pleasant hours with them, doesn't seem worth the hassle to me. It's a ridiculous passtime which actually takes over peoples lives. Beautiful animals but much too high maintenance. If you are a little spoilled child, whose rich daddy keeps the stable or hires staff, you are not going to understand my point of view - so I would ask you refrain from commenting on this.

Source(s): Opinion on horses
    • BBG
      3 weeks agoReport

Your complaints about owning horses apply doubly so to having kids.   I'll take my horse, thanks very much.