How much alcohol intake is healthy for a 27 year old male?

I've been really depressed this past year and have been drinking more than usual. Plus, alcoholism runs in my family with my dad drinking excessively along with both of my grandfathers on my moms and dads side being alcoholics.

For the last 2 months it;s been especially bad. For the past 2 months I've been drinking 2 bottles of vodka and 1 bottle of champagne each week. I feel fine but I don't know if it is causing internal symptoms or will cause anything for the future.

• 1 week ago

The only "healthy" level of alcohol intake is zero. Alcohol is a poison.

That said, alcohol is my drug of choice.

• Jerry

Alcoholic beverages are potent carcinogens in ANY amount. The idea that alcohol in small amounts is GOOD for you is nonsense. There is no measurable "dose" of alcohol so low as to NOT increase your risk of cancer. 

I'd urge you to seek a different therapy for depression.  Alcohol will worsen long-term depression and is better off avoided if you can.

No amount I've toxin introduced into the human body is healthy. That's the end of that story.

you are drinking too much--you are using alcohol to deal with emotional issues---which is a red flag for alcoholics....deal with your feelings and quit drinking or you will be an alcoholic for sure.  right now you are well on your way.

• KatieC

It sounds like a lot and potentially harmful but not completely terrible. That being said, you don’t say how much you drink at once. If you drink two bottles of vodka in a night once a week, then yes, that’s incredibly bad for you. Also, I think of alcoholism is more in terms of “need” to drink than sheer amount. If you can’t go a night without drinking, you probably have a problem. If you get upset and your first thought is “I need to get drunk,” then you probably have a problem.

Excessive alcohol might harm livers and cause other problems.  However, moderate amounts of alcohol might prevent heart attacks and have other health benefits. French people drink wine in moderation at every meal, and they seem quite healthy. Even their kids are allowed to drink in moderation.

• Jerry
      2 weeks agoReport

Those studies showing "these people drinking ONE glass wine a day had BETTER health" showed that one glass of wine a day is healthier than heavy drinking -- not that it's better than not drinking at all.