Jess

Is it legal to raise rent for some tenants and not others?

I'm talking about the 3% that goes up every year. If you have good tenants and want to keep them there is it legal to not raise the rent, and then raise the rent for those you want to get rid of?

Yes, it is generally legal to negotiate every rental contract separately from the others. The landlord may determine which tenants should pay more or less in any objective or any arbitrary way they choose, and tenants are free to take their business elsewhere, assuming there aren't any local "rent control" or similar laws in place wherever it is you're talking about.

I agree that it would be unusual to wait until I die to increase the rent, and I think that's a good way to lock in a landlord, or landlady, for a life contract with myself, but I obviously will make an exiting clause, for myself, so I can leave whenever I want. I think a landlord, or landlady, or tenant could get out of a life contract, but it would have to be written somewhere on the lease.

If I die then I can't pay rent anymore, so it would not matter if you increased, or decreased rent. I obviously won't be staying on, or in whatever you own. Because I would be dead, so I assume I should not have to explain where I will be going next.

If you signed a lease with me then I don't think you would be able to increase the rent just to get me to leave. I have been reading about leases, and I know if I have a valid lease then you would not be able to increase rent.

If you have tenants that don't have a lease then you can increase their rent as much as you want whenever you want. If you don't pay then you MUST LEAVE.

I was living in a house with several men, and one of the tenants told me that it's not fair that he has to pay more than me. He never made a lease. He just agreed to give the landlord whatever he wanted. On the other hand I didn't. I asked my landlord to sign a lease that I made. I ended up paying less money than another tenant.

However, I was sloppy when I wrote my lease, so I got kicked out, and now I am living with a relative. I am almost finished writing up a new lease, and it's nothing like my old one. I am considering to get a lawyer's advice on what I made before I leave where I am currently residing.

"For fixed term tenancies, the landlord can only increase the rent once per year, and can only increase once the term is over. For example, if there was a one year fixed term tenancy, the landlord could increase the rent at the end of the fixed term, to be effective for the next fixed term tenancy.

I allow tenant name  tenancy, or rental contract to be renewed without notice after the lease ends, and the amount of time that the tenant chooses is another issue. I could say I want to live in your home, for 100, or 200 years (if I live that long), for a certain amount of money, so I think someone can get around what you are trying to do.

I think depending on what is on the lease you were to sign with me then you would have to wait until I die before you can increase the rent, or you might not be able to because the same lease would be getting renewed.

• Nuff Sed
      3 weeks agoReport

It would be unusual to have a lease that would require a landlord to "wait until you die" to increase the rent.

• Scott

Yes, as long as the increase can be justified and isn't discriminatory.

• Judy

yes as long as the increases are within the amounts allowed

Yes  

Nuff Sed is such a stalker ....

I believe so. But, you cannot discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, sex, disabilities and so forth.  Probably best to keep it uniform to avoid even the appearance of favoritism.

If you get sued by the government over it, it could cost many thousands even if you win.  The late fees paid by late payers is often appreciated by landlords. And it makes up for slow payers.

If you have identical apartments and you charge a good white renter $700 a month because you like him and he pays good and so forth but you charge a black $750, they are going to cry "scrimination". (They usually cannot pronounce it correctly) And the government lives to sue over things like that.

Now, everyone does not have the same renewal date so there will be some differences but you want to avoid the appearance of impropriety. Because defending yourself against the government is not cheap. It'd cost you thousands even if you could prove why you charged some less and it was not based on anything discriminatory.

Barring local laws to the contrary, yes.  The world is a big place with different laws.

Yes it is......